Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Round Robin


I was in Toronto a few days ago and I picked up this block from my sister Cheryl. This is her center block for the round robin quilt that we are making with/for each other. Does it look a little familiar? Let me show you mine again....

I delivered mine to her a couple weeks ago and even though she didn't have hers ready at the time she did show me the block design and fabrics that she was going to start with. I just burst out laughing because we had chosen virtually the same block. What was even funnier was that she had also chosen the same fabrics that I did but she had changed her mind at the last minute. We just couldn't stop laughing about it because it was just so freaky.

Anyway....now I have the problem of trying to work with the colours she has chosen. I don't have a problem with the browns or neutrals but that blue/gray is going to be a challenge. It really does not want to play too well with either blue or gray. We do have lots of the same fabrics in our stashes because very often when I buy something I give her a piece and vice-versa but I want to try to avoid using the exact same fabrics that she used. I have a month to get it all figured out and finished before I have to deliver it to her.

7 comments:

Linda said...

What a nice challenge between you and your sister. It will be interesting to see how your quilts end up.

Deb A said...

So funny that you think so much alike! How about highlighting the darker color in the block with the background? Will be fun to see what you both come up with.

audrey said...

That is hilarious! What a kick that your thought patterns are so similar. Now the challenge is doing something she 'won't' do! It looks to me like you could easily introduce another color into the quilt at this stage in the game. Will be fun to follow along with your round robin!

Prima Donna said...

How fun! And, how funny! When one of my sisters got married, both our mother and my sister's future Mother-in-law made their outfits from the same pattern. Plus, her future M-I-L almost chose the same fabric as my mother.

Guess you may have to use a contrasting fabric like yellow or red. Can't wait to see what the 2 of you come up with.

canuckquilter said...

Genetics apparently affect quilting! Too funny. I'm looking forward to what you each come up with for round two.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Hi, I 'm stopping by through the Sew and Sow blog! How fun that you and your sister are doing a round Robin. My sister only does scrap booking, so that wouldn't work out for us--haha!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Love both of those blocks! So amazing how similar sister's can think at times.

Red or Navy are good dominant colors that would probably play nicely with the blue/gray fabric.

Looking forward to seeing how these quilts transform.