Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hand Quilting


I had hoped to get my Seven Sisters quilt completely marked with the all-over Baptist Fan design over the past week but I just didn't get it done. I did get just over half of the quilt marked though and I think that is certainly enough for me to be able to start some of the hand quilting. It is always so exciting to take the first of many stitches that need to go in a quilt.

I woke up at 5 am this morning and after laying in bed and gathering my thoughts for 30 minutes I climbed out of bed, made my cup of tea and started working on my quilt. I have big dreams of finishing the quilting within a certain time frame and I hope I can make it happen. Not that I am trying to rush anything but I do have a few more Seven Sisters quilts that need to be done! This morning I did get 4 full fans quilted and each fan has 5 arcs. I won't do anymore until later tonight or tomorrow so I can rest my under finger. I haven't hand quilted for a while so I need to build up my callouses and I don't want to overdo today and then be too sore to do any at all.

I am being quite brave with my thread selection and have chosen blue this time and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I am not a 'show' quilter and my stitches are irregular and crooked and I honestly don't stress about it. I want my hand quilting projects to be all about the joy of quilting.

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching.

11 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

That is a great start! I love starts, although right before that I am a bit nervous about it. Your stitches will improve over the next few days, it takes me a while to warm up after not having quilted in a while. I also have days I have to put it down, nothing seems to work. I am sure you will enjoy stitching as you think about all the memories of growing up with your sisters.

scraphappy said...

Great thread choice. Why put all that work into stitches if they won't show anyway? Glad you got started, hope you can keep up with your time frame.

Prima Donna said...

Is that first photo the backing fabric? It's beautiful. I am fasinated by your seven sisters quilts.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I am always so anxious to get to hand quilting a new quilt (cutting and piecing are simply a means to an end in my quilty world ha!) that I've never taken the time to mark before I begin. I want so badly to do an all over design -- Baptist fans, for sure!

Is that Gutermann thread? I'm using what appears to be the same color of blue on my Storm at Sea, and sadly it's giving me fits. Even with cutting extra short lengths and using Thread Heaven, the darned stuff keeps tangling, twisting and knotting. The last time I used Gutermann (a year ago), I had no trouble at all. I wonder if they changed how they manufacture their threads? Hope you have an easier time!

Deanna W said...

Yahoo good for you not to be worried about the stitches. I think if more people thought this way, there would be more hand quilters! Enjoy your journey of hand quilting. If your finger get too sore, I use an ointment called"Bag Balm". I have found it at Walmart or can be found at your local farm supply store. They use it for the teats of cows. It is wonderful for those needle pricked fingers!

Jill @ I Rather Quilt said...

You did accomplish lots of hand quilting. I have been using thimble pads on my under finger with good success. Yes, it is better to enjoy the quilting process then stress over perfect stitches.

Jo said...

Go for it. Don't worry about your thread. Just enjoy the quilting and why you are doing it

Gina said...

Great quilting. I think the blue looks good xxx

Quilter Kathy said...

So exciting to be starting the stitches for the next sisters quilt! Enjoy! You inspire me to want to hand quilt some baptist fans, but I haven't found the "right" project yet!

audrey said...

It is very exciting to start the first stitches of a quilt! The Baptist Fan goes so fast once you get the rhythm going. I think you'll enjoy it!

Cathy said...

Well, from the pics I've seen of your quilting I sure haven't seen any irregular and crooked so you appear to be a show quilter to me! I love Baptist Fans. They just seem so vintage to me. I tried to freemotion quilt on my sewing machine but they turned out yucky.