Thursday, February 27, 2014

A New Quilt


A couple months ago, I was cleaning out my desk drawer and I found this note that I wrote to myself quite some time ago about a quilt that I really liked. At the time, I thought it would be a perfect quilt for a guy and I wanted to remember the pattern and I also wanted to remember the blog where I found it. Well, the slip of paper got stuck back in the drawer and I just rediscovered it and the timing is perfect because I am ready to work on a quilt that doesn't require a lot of decision making. You know.....I just want to...do.

first four of blocks
It really does feel good to work on a quilt that I think is a great design and that is quick and easy to work on. I am using 2" x 3.5" rectangles from my scrap bin but I am pretty sure that I will need to cut some more from my 2" and 3.5" strips so that I will have a lot of variety. I am going really scrappy but I am holding off with the brights and 'girly' looking fabrics.

second set of four blocks
I have made two small batches of blocks and I don't know if you can see this but there is something wrong with the second batch.

positions reversed
Here is a closer look at two blocks - one from each batch. The block on the left has the light and dark in the correct position. I guess it just goes to show that there really is no auto-pilot when it comes to quilting. You do need to have your brain engaged even when working on simple block designs!

This photo was taken through my second floor sewing room window this morning. It started out as a clear but very cold day and then all of a sudden we started having snow squalls and there are white-out warnings as well. The snow just in front of the window is the top of my garage - we have so much snow!!! I am so ready for spring.

5 comments:

Catherine Shepherd said...

That's a great scrap busting idea for those blocks. And I agree with you... I am soooooooooooo ready for spring. It's blowing so hard here the windows are whistling, and there are snow squall warnings out.

Terri said...

I'm the visitor from Folsom CA! Live traffic feed - very interesting. Sometimes shows me being from Sacramento, and sometimes from Orangevale...

Anyway, I love your pattern, and I bet if you just add that one "wrong" block in with the rest, nobody will notice but you. Really, if it's a quilt for a man, do you think he is going to notice? (Lol)
Hugs

soscrappy said...

What a fun pattern. Looks like staying in to sew is the perfect plan for the day.

Quilter Kathy said...

That is a really cool scrap block!
I am getting cabin fever too... hurry up spring!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the scrappy old fashion way these quilt blocks look. This will make a fantastik boys quilt.
Love sis