Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tranquility is a Flimsy....Again!


I have been making this beautiful quilt for my niece Amanda and I think it is just about good to go. At least I am ready to move on with it and get it quilted and finished. It is so big that I really couldn't find a place to take a picture of the whole thing so just a partial will have to do.

My sister Glenda took this flimsy with her when she went to visit her daughter in Winnipeg several months ago so they could look for backing fabric. Well, they didn't find any suitable fabric for the backing and the flimsy came back with a request to make it one block wider. Apparently that would make it fit her bed perfectly. So...I obliged and added one more row to the width and then set it aside to await the perfect backing fabric.


I now have the backing fabric in my possession, actually in the washing machine as I write this, and all is good except that when I spoke with Glenda recently, I realized that it was probably better for me to add another 2 rows because it will shrink with quilting and then it might end up being too narrow. So, yesterday, I added another 2 rows. I don't think you can tell that I made the additions of the extra rows other than it is huge - around 91" x 96". I just hope that it is not too big now!

I had so many extra QSTs available that were left over from making the original quilt top that I didn't have to cut any and that made me happy!

13 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

This quilt top is GORGEOUS!
I love the color combination you chose for this quilt too.

Deb A said...

Beautiful - smart to add an extra row. Quilts can never be too big on a quilt..... someone is always stealing the covers! Such pretty colors... wonder what those extras will turn into? All these finishes you are having is making me feel like I don't get anything done =).

Rosa said...

Just beautiful!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

This is a gorgeous quilt, I am looking forward to how you will quilt it. I made a Double Irish Chain for my king size bed a couple of years ago and added another row of blocks around it for the same reason. It ended up shrinoking by a couple of inches, so I was so glad that I did. I used a cotton batting, from my experience wool and poly batting don't shrink as much.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Wow! This quilt top is gorgeous. Amanda is going to be so happy to have this beauty on her bed. The fabrics in this quilt are really pretty. Way to go Ellen, I am looking forward to see this one quilted. Love sis

Grit said...

This quilt top is amazing. Love the colors and fabrics.

laurajane said...

Very beautiful quilt .Please put I picture of the finish on.xx

Prima Donna said...

Will you please, please adopt me? Your family is so fortunate to receive such beautiful works of art. Just gorgeous!

Quilter Kathy said...

This is gorgeous... it just sparkles!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a wonderful gift. The quilt is lovely and I know it will be well loved.

audrey said...

How wonderful that you already had pieces cut and ready to go. When you think you're done and then have to add more on, sometimes it's more frustration than fun. Love the colors of this one!

Cathy said...

Oh, such perfect hourglasses! Very nice. I like the bigger sized quilts. That seems just right for a double/queen bed.

Sheila said...

This quilt top is beautiful! And huge!