Friday, January 31, 2014

Round Robin Quilt

In early January, my sister Cheryl and I decided that it would be fun if we did a bit of a Round Robin with each other. We have decided on the rules and they are very simple. We have until mid February to give each other the center block for our quilts and from then on we have one month to add the next border and then swap. We are not allowed to give any sneak peaks or suggestions. All rules are subject to flexibility based on daily life challenges. Of course, we always have had free access to each other's stash and I don't think that should change either. ;-) There may have been another rule or two that we agreed on but I can't remember - not that it really matters!


This block is called Star Gardener and I found it in my Farmer's Wife book. My block is based on 2.5" unfinished pieces and it will sort of finish at 12". I was in a hurry to put it together and I probably wasn't as accurate as I could have been. :) The block is somewhat low contrast but I think it looks really good. I am going to Toronto this morning so I will be delivering my block today.

Last year, during the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I made quite a few basket blocks and I thought I would use them for the center of my Round Robin quilt and I sewed a few together into a block. In my quest to clear out my sewing room and get quilts made it would have helped to move this one out but at the last minute I changed my mind. I already have an idea percolating around that will use my collection of basket blocks so I am a little hesitant to use them for this quilt.
Original block but I changed my mind!
I think it will be a lot of fun and there is no pressure at all to make a 'beautiful' quilt but if they both turn out to be beautiful then that will be a happy bonus. Of course, we are not setting out to make ugly quilts but to have a bit of fun playing around and to challenge each other too.

Only time will tell where my quilt will go from here...I am looking forward to having a lot of fun and making memories with our Round Robin.

7 comments:

Missie of Traditional Primitives (formerly Hallbrook Designs) said...

Sounds like fun! Enjoy the process...doing this with a sis should be extra fun!

Gina said...

Great centre block for the round robin and I love the baskets xxx

audrey said...

Your round robin will be a lot of fun with your sister and I'm sure they won't be ugly at all! Your baskets are wonderful. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.:)

Deb A said...

Sounds like fun. I can't wait to see what she adds and what center you get to play with.

Quilter Kathy said...

A very fun idea! You made me smile with the thought of setting out to make an ugly quilt!

Mary said...

Funny, my sister, four of my aunts and me are doing family round robins this year. I am not a fan of baskets. So, I like what you chose better. I actually clicked on the picture thinking "thats a possibility for my center." Mine needs to be in Texas by the end of the month.

I hope you share more pics along the way. Can't wait to see what you and your sister do.

~ Toni ~ said...

How wonderful to have a sister be your quilting buddy. Your round robin sounds like fun and I look forward to reading about it. I've just become a follower of your blog via Sew and Sow Farm's (http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/) blog. She is offering a giveaways during her blogiversary. Have a wonderful day, Toni from Easy Street Ramblings (peddlerjo.blogspot.com)