Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Quilting Practice

A little while ago my sister Cheryl came to my place for a little sewing retreat and initially we did get quite a bit accomplished but there really is never enough time. There were two children's quilts that she had made and had brought with her for me to quilt but I wasn't able to get them done before she had to go home. I am now finally getting around to doing the quilting on them. It actually works out perfectly for me because one of my goals this year is to learn more free-motion quilting designs and now I get to do some practice quilting on them.


This little flower design is a new one for me. I had been practicing it on my whiteboard and it is a lot easier to execute with the marker than it is with the machine. I need to regulate my speed on the machine - too fast or too slow and I get out of control. I also see that I need to focus some practice time on accuracy...some of my flowers are pretty ugly because I missed the centers. All in all I am pretty happy with the way the quilting turned out on this quilt - I was really nervous that I might really mess things up and ruin her quilt but I think she will be quite happy with it.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Oh it is so cute! You did a lovely job of quilting a little flower pattern. Baby Astrid is going to love her little quilt. Really love this pattern so pretty and feminine for a little girl. Thank you Ellen. Love sis

soscrappy said...

I am sure she will be happy with it. Your flowers look great! Nobody will notice if you missed on a few.

Deb A said...

The flowers look great to me. I agree with Angela - no one will notice one or two that don't look perfect. Sounds like you are reaching your goals to try new patterns. Great job.

Gina said...

Great job on the quilting and as the saying goes practice makes perfect xx

Alycia said...

It is such a cute quilt - and the flowers will enhance it ;-)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great job with your quilting those flowers....really nice and cute.

Jo said...

Well done with your practice pieces. I need more practice at quilting too