Wednesday, January 22, 2014

More Quilting Practice

I quilted the second quilt for my sister and I think it turned out so darn cute. First off, the quilt is so adorable to begin with. My sister made each individual block so that they looked like bugs - the square of bug fabric is the body and the solids at the sides are the legs - perfect for a little boy.








I was a little stumped on which quilting design to use and I was just going to do my standard loopy-loop but then I got an idea. I was thinking about snails or something similar to that and it led to doing a swirly vine design. I thought it could potentially look like bug antenna or something like that. Again, this is the first time that I have done this free-motion quilting design and I really do need to practice it a little more. It certainly does look like a beginner did it and I am okay with that - we all have to start at the beginning. I think many of the inconsistencies will not be quite so noticeable once the quilt is washed and is nice and crinkly.

I think my sister Cheryl is going to really love this one too!

8 comments:

Deb A said...

Ellen - you are way too hard on yourself. The quilting looks great. I love the design you came up with. I was looking at some of the quilts that I started FMQ'd on and you know unless you look close and are searching for mistakes (which I have many of in my quilts) you really don't notice any!
Hugs.

Prima Donna said...

If my FMQ looked like that I would be more than happy. It looks great!

Prima Donna said...

If my FMQ looked like that I would be more than happy. It looks great!

Cheryl said...

Ellen

I just love it. You did such a great job. Stephanie's little baby is going to really love snuggling up to this little quilt. So happy with the quilting design you chose to do. It looks just perfect. Thank you. Love sis

Quilter Kathy said...

It looks fantastic... not beginner'ish at all!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely!
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla

Cathy said...

Doesn't look like a beginner's work to me. I think it's cute. The whole quilt is cute. I think I copied off that pattern for a kid's quilt from Quilter's Cache but haven't made one yet.

What is your sister doing with all the baby quilts?

~ Toni ~ said...

This is one of my go-to FMQ designs. You are doing great, and like the other gals have said if they are looking that close then they are just looking for something to point out. We all have to start somewhere.