Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fabulous Gifts


Last fall we were at a dinner celebrating a friend's birthday and a group of us were sitting around the table chatting. One friend mentioned that she was clearing out a bunch of 'junk' from her home and cottage and would be donating to charity, having a garage sale in the Spring etc. I casually, hopefully, stated that I had been looking for an iron that had a solid sole plate. Well, she told me that she was sure she had one and she would be happy to let it go.

A couple days before Christmas Trudy showed up at my door with these lovelies.

I was so excited I could hardly contain myself! The little one is a travel iron and comes apart but it is very heavy duty. It weighs a whopping 3 lbs - pretty heavy for a travel iron. The plus side is that I can use the iron and have workout at the same time :). I haven't tried it out yet because my husband does not like the plug and will replace it for me. He said the cords are okay on both irons and I like that because they do have a nice vintage look to them. The bigger one is a dream come true for a quilter. It is very lightweight but really packs a punch in the heat department and works really well. I have cleaned it since I took the photo. I used a nylon scrubby pad and some of the cleaner that I use for my ceramic top stove and it did a pretty good job of removing all of the gunk off the sole plate.

Thank you so much Trudy, I am so happy to have such wonderful friends!

5 comments:

Peg said...

Ooh, how handy! Both look perfect for a quilter. And isn't vintage nice to have around - there's something so homey about it!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Happy ironing! I know you have the fabric and now you have these wonderful irons! Love sis

Kindred Quilts said...

Love your vintage irons! They just don't make 'em like they use too! I agree... the colorful cord adds to the charm! Now all you need is an old wooden ironing board...
Love your Starburst QAL blocks too!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

They just don't make them like that anymore! Lucky you!

Quilter Kathy said...

You can't beat a great iron!