Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Civil War Block of the Month

I have joined in with many others participating in Barbara Brackman's latest block of the month - Threads of Memory. She will be writing about the Underground Railroad and I look forward to reading her posts each month and making the corresponding blocks. This month's block is called Portsmouth Star and is named for Ona Judge Staines and you can read all about it here.

Quite some time ago, I ordered some civil war scrap bags from here and I had not used any of them until now. I think this just may be the right project for them. Most of the scraps are small but usable sizes so I will have to supplement them with other pieces from my stash but I think they should work out just fine. In this case, the outer dark blue fabric did come from my stash. I had a different fabric picked out from the grab bags but there wasn't quite enough of it. I think the blue I chose makes my star look like it is shining brightly from a night sky.


11 comments:

Kindred Quilts said...

I love your fabric choices for this block! So yummy! I'm so tempted to follow along with this BOM...

Quilter Kathy said...

It's beautiful Ellen! I must get sewing on mine.

canuckquilter said...

Oooh, I like this block and love those fabrics.

Cathy said...

Wonderful colour choices! This will be a fun one to watch come together.

LuAnn said...

I love your colors. Great block.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a wonderful block!

Deb A said...

Beautiful block. I love the colors you are using.

audrey said...

I always love the star blocks especially.:)

Pip said...

Love the colours you have chosen Ellen, I look forward to seeing next months block.

Cathy said...

I might have to join in on this one. And that reminds me that I need to finish some blocks for the Civil War Sampler she hosted. Wonder where I stashed those blocks???

Pretty block and nice selection of fabrics and fabric placement.

Thanks for the link.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Very pretty fabrics and such a beautiful block!