Sunday, January 12, 2014

Blue Seven Sisters Quilt - Sashing

I really couldn't get a very good photo of the progress I have made on this quilt. The lighting is so poor, we are getting snow this morning, and as fast as I lay the blocks down the dogs think it is a game just for them.  I threw a toy for them to chase and quickly got the blocks down and the photo snapped!

I had hoped to already have all of the sashing sewn onto the blocks for this quilt but I didn't quite get it all done. I need to mark and cut three more sashing strips and stitch them onto the last blocks this morning. My plan for this evening is to spend a bit of time working on sewing the blocks together.

Over the past few days I have been thinking about these quilts that I am making - a series of seven, seven sisters quilts for my sister's and I. It really is a very long term project because I am hand-piecing and hand quilting each one. I have completed two already but I am feeling the pull to get them done quicker - we ain't gettin' any younger and the years are just flying by. I have been so tempted lately to join in other wonderful quilting projects like the Benjamin Biggs quilt and others but I have decided that I need to focus all of my hand work time on these quilts - they are very important to me and to my sisters.

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching.


12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Focusing on one project is so hard with all the temptations and distractions available. I admire your focus and dedication to get these quilts done for your sisters.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

You made me laugh at your attempt to take pics! I have to constantly tell my dog off of the quilt. He looks at me with those pathetic eyes. I am still amazed at how you are hand piecing these and get so much done.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Very pretty quilt. I admire your dedication to finish it instead of starting something else. Keep plugging away. In the end it will be so worth it.

Deanna W said...

seven quilts...I am impressed! And to keep doing them and not start anything new. Good luck to you.If you switch between hand quilting and hand piecing it may help to change this up!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

This is going to make another very pretty Seven Sisters Quilt. You really have made great progress in making this quilts Ellen. Love you. So excited to see this next one. Love sis

Linda said...

What an amazing project you have on the go. So full of heart. Focusing on one thing at a time is so very difficult but the reward will be so worth it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is not an easy pattern - how lovely.

Aunt 'Reen said...

I admire your commitment and your dedication to making these 7 Seven Sisters quilts! Quilting is always extraordinary when it's about passion and purpose.
Wishing you continued success on these very special quilts!

audrey said...

Really love your blue 7 sisters. It's a huge project for you. If it wasn't for the hand quilting, I'd say turn it into a QAYG project. I still think they need to be doing big things for you for this though. Hint at them about getting some Shari's Berries for motivation.:)

Jo said...

Fantastic effort.
They will be so proud of you. They are so lucky

Robin said...

I admire you for your stick-to-it attitude. I've only made one of these blocks and it was quite difficult so I haven't made more. Maybe they get easier by the time you do so many? This quilt is lovely and the sister who gets it is going to be especially pleased.