Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Basting and Marking


Yesterday, I worked on basting my blue Seven Sisters quilt and it was quite a process. I loaded it on the frame and had everything set and ready to baste but my long arm just didn't like doing it. I had the stitch set to the longest stitch and I thought I would just be able to whiz around the quilt using manual mode. It would have worked great but the machine just did not want to go fast and kept stalling. Every time it stalled I had to turn if off, raise the needle manually, turn it back on and then continue. I also broke a needle trying to make things speed up so instead of fighting it I just plodded along and finally got it done.


I want to quilt it with Baptist Fans so I pulled out my template and my Frixion pens and I have started the process of marking. I have it spread out on my dining room table and I will be marking it over the next few days as time allows. I do plan to have it all ready for me to start quilting it on the weekend - fingers crossed!

10 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am deciding what to do on my little Jacob's ladder today. Thought I would do baptist fans but there are a lot of seams. They are fun to stitch, and should look awesome on your quilt.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peg said...

Love this quilt, and have been watching it 'grow' over the last while. Gotta ask though - why do you baste a quilt that's going on the long-arm? Or am I missing something here?

Quilter Kathy said...

The prep work for hand quilting does take a while... but is so worth it! Your photo makes me want to quilt some baptist fans... I need the right project for them.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Way to go! Love the Baptist Fan, especially for hand quilting. This is going to be one lovely Seven Sisters quilt. Love sis

Cathy said...

I'm sorry it didn't work better for you, basting on the long arm. Was it easier than crawling around on the floor with pins, though?

Deb A said...

You are making great progress on this. So exciting that you will be able to start the hand quilting soon. I love the look of the baptist fans.... I think I'm going to have to try that on a quilt soon. You mentioned a template - mind showing a picture sometime please?

Aunt 'Reen said...

Sorry to hear your longarm was giving you trouble today!

Your markings look beautiful, hope you are able to begin quilting this by weeks end!

canuckquilter said...

You are making tremendous progress on this quilt. I'm sorry basting the quilt was more trouble than you expected. Perhaps the next one will go more smoothly now that you know the pitfalls.

Jo said...

Love the quilting design & those friction pens... I am addicted.
Won't they disappear with the heat from your hands though