Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Baby Quilt - Making Blocks

I love how these blocks look! I have made 6 of the 12 blocks so far and I am so happy with the results. I love the way the blue strips in the corner blocks make a secondary design.

I was a little concerned about how I was going to make those blue strips align correctly so I decided to paper piece those corner blocks. I haven't actually joined any of the blocks together yet but I think they should all align in nice and straight lines.

When I was choosing the fabrics for this quilt I knew there was a possibility that I might not have enough of the yellow fabric. I really wanted to use that particular fabric because it has little orange paw prints on it and I thought it really suited the quilt. I have finished making all of the block components and I ended up with a very small amount of the yellow fabric left. Just a couple triangles, a few scrappy bits and one string piece from the edge that is just about 2" wide. I was quite prepared to piece bits of scraps together if I needed to but happily I didn't!

7 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your blocks turned out beautiful! Great that you didn't run out of that yellow fabric.

Cheryl said...

Good Morning Ellen

Really cute quilt. Love the little blue lines that run through out this quilt. Our little nephew to be is going to be so happy with his little quilt. I think mom will be very happy too. Congratulations on picking such a nice pattern & happy colours for baby. Love sis

Linda said...

What an adorable quilt. Your fabric choices are perfect. I've sure been there too when I've had to hold my breath cutting that last piece. Then breath a sigh of relief with that smidgen left over.
That pattern is so cute.

scraphappy said...

Those blue diagonals do add such a nice design element. They almost seem to run under the star blocks. So glad you had just enough of the yellow, love it when things work out that way.

Terri said...

Isn't it wonderful when things turn out just right?
I used that paper pieced pattern (I just drafted my own.) to make a pink and red quilt for an Open House party at the Project Linus coordinator's house. (It was a challenge to make a quilt of our favorite color and a tint or shade of it.)
Love your quilt, and the colors.
Hugs

Deb A said...

So glad you had enough yellow fabric. Love the blue line - I was only picturing it on one side but love how it makes an X in the background. You have one very lucky nephew.

audrey said...

Your blue is very inspired! It really makes the rest of the quilt 'pop'!