Sunday, January 26, 2014

Almost a Flimsy

My husband said something that made me laugh this morning and that is always a good way to start your day. I wanted to take a photo of my progress on this quilt top and I needed to lay it on the floor to take the photo. I had to vacuum first because my floors were a mess and I didn't want to dirty my quilt. When I picked up the vacuum hose (we have central vac) my husband asked me if I was all right. I just burst out laughing....I guess you had to be there :-).

I have been working on my blue Seven Sisters quilt top and I just have one more border to add and then it will be a finished flimsy. I think the floral fabric I am using for the borders gives this quilt a real old-fashioned look and I think I like that. I bought the border fabric so long ago that I can't really remember when. There was no print on the selvages at all so there was no hint at a date or fabric manufacturer.

My plan for today is to finish sewing the last border on and then to prep and sew the backing together. I am going to try to baste this on my long arm but I am not too sure how that will work out. Any tips for basting using an older model Millie would be very much appreciated.

I am linking up at Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to get some inspiration from other slow stitchers.

By the way - Molly decided she needed to hold down the corner of the quilt so that it wouldn't get away and she wants to know - Is my butt too big?

18 comments:

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on getting to the next stage. Borders are always a lot of crawling around on the floor, but they are such a big step toward the finished quilt. You will be quilting before you know it.

Gina said...

Loving the quilt. I know the feeling about vacuuming. My hubby says the same when I pick up the non patchwork iron xxx

Quilter Kathy said...

It looks terrific... and Molly does too!
Enjoy your slow stitching today and thanks for linking up!

Denise :) said...

Hahaha! I totally get where you're coming from! It would have worked the *very* same way in my home! Your flimsy is *beautiful*! Congrats! :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Molly your butt is fine and so is your Mama's pretty quilt :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree the floral border does add a vintage look. I think Molly's just puurrrrrfect!

genie said...

Molly squatting on the corner of your quilt is just tooooo funny. What a cutie pie. This is such a lovely and feminine quilt, and your choice of the border fabric is purrfect....:-) It really does have a vintage look which is so special. genie

Cathy said...

Too funny!! My husband would have exactly the same reaction, should I pick up the vacuum cleaner. Your quilt is looking good.

Angie said...

Love the border fabric - and have I mentioned Seven Sisters is a favorite pattern?! Even with vacuuming, I dare not lay quilts on the floor at my house. They pick up enough pet hair without a trip to the floor!

Deb A said...

Would have been the same reaction at our house. I think my hubby wants to introduce me to the vacuum sometime! Molly's butt is perfect and she is doing a great job holding down the quilt for you. Don't want it to move on you while you take a picture.!Your seven sisters quilt is gorgeous. I love this in blue - my favorite color!

Prima Donna said...

Quilters do vacuum...when the threads on the floor start to get on their nerves. LOL Your blue Seven Sisters is looking good.

Sherry said...

Your quilt is stunning, progressing very nicely. And Molly has nothing to fear. No Weight Watchers program needed.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I saw an antique 7 sisters quilt at a museum in Springfield, IL this past summer. Yours is lovely!

audrey said...

The housework never ends so why even start? hehe I think your border looks great. Always enjoyable to move to the next step.:)

canuckquilter said...

That's about ow housework happens in our house too :) I have great intentions to, for example, vacuum, more often but there's always so much to do in the quilting corner! Your quilt is coming along beautifully.. I like your choice of border fabric.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Sometimes people just say the one thing that can send us into a burst of belly laughs. So great when that happens. Love this Seven Sisters quilt! The blue is beautiful and I really love the flower border. You are just moving along on this one! Love sis

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love this quilt! I love blue (it's my favorite color), I love blocks with triangles/stars, and I love traditional blocks that look nice and old fashioned ... so what's not to love? ;-)

Cathy said...

My husband would say the same! He's retired so he's in charge of the vacuum at our house.

Oh, that border really sets off that quilt.

My butt is bigger than Molly's so she has a ways to go to beat me in the butt dept.