Friday, January 24, 2014

A Pretty Flimsy

Not the best photo but it will have to do!
I feel so good that I have finally got this top to the flimsy stage. Early yesterday I worked on making the rest of the checkerboard bits for the outer border. Once I had what I thought would be enough I sewed them into strips and then set them aside...and then I procrastinated.

Very often, when I think something is going to be hard to do I will just avoid doing it until I have no choice but to face the music. I wanted to include a narrow border but it just seemed to be an insurmountable task to figure out what size I needed it to be cut so that the checkerboard border would fit well. Sometimes when adding a pieced border you do need to compensate for any size differences and to make everything fit together. I know...it really is just silly to make such a mountain out of a molehill. When I finally got down to the nuts and bolts of it I felt really quite ridiculous about procrastinating because it was no problem at all. A one inch border all the way around fit perfectly - no fancy math or calculations required and the checkerboard looks great.

14 comments:

Terry said...

It looks wonderful! Congratulations on making it a flimsy! :0)

Manuela said...

It looks fantastic.

Have a nice weekend, Manuela

katie z. said...

Your flimsy is fabulous!

Cathy said...

WOW!! It looks so very good! Great job.

Deb A said...

Looks great! I think we all do that - and then when we finally take the plunge and do the work it usually turns out easier than we think it will be.

audrey said...

That looks perfect! Your checkerboard is a wonderful frame for your quilt!

canuckquilter said...

It does look great! That narrow border is the perfect finishing touch. I know exactly what you mean about procrastinating on borders. I've had my share of mountainous molehills at that stage of quilt construction.

Sheila said...

This is awesome! I love it!

Quilter Kathy said...

I do this all the time and procrastinate the project right into the UFO closet! Good for you to push on and figure it out... looks great!

Cath said...

Procrastination! the bane of my life so take heart you are not alone there. Quilt looks stunning as I knew it would. I think the checkerboard is fabulous and the narrow border is just the ticket!!
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Angie said...

Just wonderful! So glad I got to see this quilt from start to finish.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

All good things come with time! It is an awesome top!

Nell's Quilts said...

Good job. I remember watching the number of britches grow as you followed the scrap happy Saturday. The flimsy looks just great.

Cathy said...

Oh, Ellen...that is so beautiful! And so unique.