Monday, January 20, 2014

A Finish


Fun in the Jungle is completely finished and I think completely cute! I hand sewed most of the binding to the back of the quilt yesterday but I needed to finish up the last bit this morning. I used an animal print that I have had in my stash for a long time for the binding. As a matter of fact, all of the fabric for this quilt came from my stash and that makes me very happy (my husband too).


I quilted it with a neutral thread in a large free-hand feather design that I had been practicing on my white board. I had really meant to make the design a bit smaller in scale but it seemed I had no control over the size once I put thread to quilt. I think it worked out pretty well especially because this was my first attempt - I know I will use this quilting design again and again.


The blocks in the quilt are a bit of an odd size because I used a 4" (3.5" finished) center square so each block actually finished at 10.5". I did that because I fussy cut the centers to feature the animals in the fabric. The quilt finished at approx 39" x 50".
back





I have added the label but have not filled out any information. I am hoping to wait until the baby is born so that I can personalize the label with his name.

11 comments:

Peg said...

What a wonderful baby quilt! Love the big feathers quilting!

Terry said...

It looks wonderful! Congratulations! :0)

Aunt 'Reen said...

This quilt turned out terrific!
Your quilting is beautiful and such a nice design for this pretty quilt. Congratulations on a fabulous finish!

laurajane said...

Absolutely beautiful. A great finish,like the backing fabric.xx

Quiltbenaco said...

Molto bello!
Complimenti per il trapunto!
Ciao

Prima Donna said...

Love that fussy cut border, too. This is a baby quilt that he/she will drag around with them for many years because it is not "babyish".

Linda said...

Congrats on an awesome finish. It looks wonderful. and the feather quilting is amazing.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on finishing your fun baby quilt!

Michelle said...

Looks great Ellen.......
Lucky baby !

ratama said...

Nice baby quilt. Your freehand feathers are great!

Gina said...

Love the quilt and the reverse is nearly as nice. Good job on the quilting xx