Thursday, December 12, 2013

Working on the Memory Quilt

Some of the t-shirts prepped and ready to be used.
Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time preparing the clothing that I will be using to make this quilt. I tried to cut the pieces of fabric as large as I could from the clothing even though many pieces will need to be trimmed once their placement in the quilt is figured out.

I had purchased 2.5 m of lightweight fusible interfacing to back the pieces of t-shirt fabric but I don't have quite enough. I am going to have to make a trip to the fabric store today to get a bit more. This is the first time that I have used this product and following the application instructions was quite easy. I think the ones I have done turned out great.

Once I finish preparing the fabric pieces I need to spend some time practicing machine applique. Zackie's name will be included on the quilt top and I had the letters cut out of his flannel Elmo blanket. I need to do some trials first because this will be my first attempt at machine applique so I also had some extra pieces cut from scraps. This will be today's challenge.... master machine applique....okay... maybe not master it but at least try to do it reasonably well. :)

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Good Luck with the practice applique. I know you "yes" you will master it. The little tee shirt pieces will look wonderful. Mommy will recognize these little pictures from her sons clothes and smile when she sees them. A quilt is a very special gift. Love sis

Prima Donna said...

Ellen, the prepared pieces look great. What an awesome idea to use the flannel blanket to put his name on the quilt. You will do fine.

blauraute said...

What a wonderful idea with the flannel blanket.
All the best for you
Roswitha

scraphappy said...

What a great start. Best of luck with the machine applique. It looks like you have made a great start on the memory quilt. Such a nice remembrance it will be for the family.