Thursday, December 5, 2013

Quilting Practice


I had so much fun playing around with some practice quilting. I have been doodling on a white board and I felt I had progressed enough that I could try out some of my doodles on fabric. As you can see I do still need lots more practice but I really felt good about what I did because I am making progress.

I don't have money or quilting supplies to waste so I didn't want to use any of my 'good stuff' but I do need to practice on fabric of some sort. I have a huge hunk of white cotton sheeting that I received from my MIL that is many years old and it is discoloured and stained and is not really usable for a quilt...but it is perfect to practice on.

I ripped some strips that were probably about 24" x whatever the the width of the fabric was and loaded it onto the frame. I used narrow strips and hunks and chunks of leftover batting pieces and just laid them onto the backing and then covered it with another piece of white fabric and it worked really well.

Instead of loading empty bobbins with new thread I used up bobbins that were partially filled with leftover bits of different colours of thread. There was an annoyance factor in that I had to keep changing bobbins but I did manage to empty quite a few of them - I feel so virtuous!


10 comments:

canuckquilter said...

I'm impressed. Even doodling on paper I draw myself into a corner and can't keep my scale consistent. Your actual stitched practice looks better than my doodling! Three cheers for using up assorted leftover bobbins :)

Grit said...

Your quilting Looks so fantastic.

Cathy said...

Looks really good! Another place to use up those bobbins is when quilting scrappy quilts. Not on;t use up the scraps of fabric, but scraps of thread, too.

Terry said...

I love your doodling! I think I need to try that, as mostly I just do loops when I do free motion quilting. Although I did do some stars on my one Christmas quilt and they came out OK.

Prima Donna said...

Your doodling and quilting look great! The last time I made a scrap quilt, I used up all my different colors of bobbins for the piecing. That freed up a lot of bobbins!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great practice! Looks terrific from here!

Linda said...

Looks great! FMQ is all about practice.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

So many great tips in your post. I hate waste so this is right up my alley.

scraphappy said...

What a lovely practice piece. I quilted up a few old sheets of my own when I first got my new frame. So much quicker than making quilts! Your quilting looks quite nice. Imagine it as a consistent pattern in coordinating thread on a patterned background and it is absolutely perfect! So much fun. The flowers are my favorite I think, such nice texture.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your practice quilting is beautiful! You have flowers & waves, coral, loopy loops and more. Great job! Love sis