Sunday, December 29, 2013

Paisley Seven Sisters Quilt


Molly modelling the finished top.
I did it!! I just finished stitching down the last bit of binding on this special quilt and I am SO happy with it. I don't really know how long it has been since I started piecing this quilt together (the top was completed before 2011) but it has taken me less than a year to hand quilt it and I am thrilled about that. Every stitch within this quilt has been taken by hand and with love. This is the second quilt in a series of Seven Sisters quilts that I am making for me and my six sisters and they hold great importance to us.
Peanut wanted to model the finished top too!










This quilt finished at approx. 73" x 82" and is quilted with an all over Baptist Fan motif using a neutral thread. I tried to get a picture of how wonderful the texture looks but I just can't seem to do it as well as I would like. As with the first quilt I finished, I still don't know which sister will receive which quilt, so I will need to add a label at a later time.


The third quilt top is already in progress and all of the blocks are finished and you will be seeing it a lot over the next while :).  I am ready to start putting the top together but I still need to cut some more sashing strips and then the borders. I have already purchased blue thread to quilt it with and I am looking forward to starting a new journey. I do hope that I will get it finished long before the new year is finished!!

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching...pop on over and check out the other links.

12 comments:

sophie said...

Seven Sisters is one of my all-time favorite traditional blocks. I love that you're making 7 sister quilts for your sisters.

Prima Donna said...

The only thing more amazing than you having 6 sisters (I had 3) is this wonderful quilt! I hope they will appreciate the love, care, time, and talent that went into them. Thank you so much for sharing this quilt with us.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment. What a nice time to finish off a project.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Alrighty! Congrats on your lovely finish!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love finishes! I have never made the same quilt twice, they do get easier as you go and I admire anyone who can stitch a seven sisters block! Looks wonderful!

Cathy said...

Oh, this is so beautiful. Congrats on a gorgeous finish. I didn't know you were going to make one for each sister. What a wonderful idea and now I know why you chose that block!

I have an old fashioned rose bush called seven sisters!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Congratulations - I'm thrilled for you that you've finished this beautiful quilt! I enjoyed following your progress. This was such a perfect choice and wishing you continued success on these Seven Sister's quilts!

audrey said...

So very exciting for you! Whichever sister gets this quilt is sure to be thrilled.:) Very special for sure.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Gorgeous! I love that! Congrats on your finish!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great news! Very exciting to be ready to work on another sister quilt? Will you give them out one at a time or wait until all of them are finished and then give them to the sisters?
Thanks for being a regular contributor to Slow Stitching Sunday! Best wishes for a happy 2014!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Congratulations! This Seven Sisters quilt is beautiful! Just love the paisley fabric in this one. I am looking forward to the day when we each receive these special gifts! We are the Seven Sisters, each one of us a shooting star. I can see us all cuddling in our quilts. So fun! Thank you Ellen. Love sis

Cheryl said...

Ooops! P.S. Molley and Peanut look so cute. They are just adding more love to these beautiful quilts. Love sis