Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December Block Lotto Blocks


The blocks for this month really were not very difficult to make at all and I do think whoever wins them will end up with quite a cute quilt.

I got a sneak peak at the blocks and received the instructions early because I had finished last month's basket block before the deadline but I wasn't allowed to post them until after Dec 1. I used white from my stash and strips that I already had in my bins so it didn't take too long to make them. I did start out to make 8 blocks but I can only submit 7 of them because one turned out just a tad too wonky. I think it was because the pink fabric that I took from my strip bin had been cut somewhat crooked.

I am not sure if I will bother to fix this dud block - the seam lines are noticeably crooked but they could be corrected by making an adjustment within the seam so that the pink seam allowance would be a bit narrower than the white and then it would finish straight and to the correct size. For now it will just sit in my scrap bin waiting....

Even though my seam allowance is pretty accurate, my blocks did finish just a hair shorter than the 9.5" but according to the guidelines that is still very acceptable. When I ironed them I did use some spray starch and that helped a lot.

3 comments:

Peg said...

Just checked out the block lotto - what an interesting idea! I'll have to keep an eye on that! Good looking blocks you made!

Nann said...

Thanks for providing a link to your blog! Isn't it funny how the simplest blocks can be a challenge to piece? I've enjoyed this year's Block Lotto and wonder what Sophie will have to delight us in 2014.

The Raincross Quilt Guild said...

I, too, like block lotto because I get to work with blocks that aren't that common - Sophie always puts a spin to them - this year it was the size. I liked your blocks, Ellen.