Monday, December 30, 2013

Celtic Solstice - Step 5


I had fallen so far behind on this mystery and had left off at partially completing step 2. On Christmas day I was able to find time to get into my sewing room and I jumped back on the Celtic Solstice train and I haven't looked back!

Over the past few days I was able to finish up step 2 and I also completed step 3, 4 and now 5. For step 5, I was able to pull 3.5" blue strips from my bins and I cut my triangles using the Easy Angle ruler. I was also able to take many of the neutral triangles from my precut bins too. That really helped when  it came time to piece those blocks together. I am really surprised at how even my blocks turned out. I usually have so many problems with the pieced sections turning out crooked but not this time :).  I am back on track and really looking forward to seeing how all of these pieces come together.










I must have been a little tired when I was working on step 5 because I did sew a few parts together incorrectly. I managed to sew my triangles to the orange instead of the yellow several times and I also made a very interesting block. As I was adding the triangles to the hst I was so certain that I was carefully checking to make sure the orientation was correct but as you can see I obviously wasn't as careful as I thought I was. Oh well, oopsies are bound to happen.

Hop on over to Quiltville to check out all of the other links - you just may be inspired to hop on the Celtic Solstice train too!

13 comments:

jotokla.com said...

Ha! I came very close to doing the exact same thing myself when adding the first triangle to a HST. Thanks so much for sharing your progress (and your oops)!

scraphappy said...

Good work on being up to date! Lovely work too. Hoping for the big reveal soon.

TLC said...

I think we all do the same thing. It's a matter of whether we admit it or not. ;O Fantastic job catching up!

Sheila said...

Wow! Looking good! I'm playing Celtic catch up this week. As well as other sewing projects. Glad Christmas is behind us.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your little blocks are looking fantastic! So glad to hear they are all going together even. Colours look great together. Never fails to have a few ooops even when we check and double check. Love sis

Prima Donna said...

You are on a roll and looking good. I am convinced that many new quilt designs come from "mistakes". Keep up the good work.

Prima Donna said...

You are on a roll and looking good. I am convinced that many new quilt designs come from "mistakes". Keep up the good work.

Cherry said...

You did a LOT of sewing to catch up on all those units. I had a few oopsies on Clue # 5, too. My brain kept wanting the cream triangle in every other direction.

Andee said...

Way to catch up! Looking good. I sewed a few wrong too!

Judy D in WA said...

Way to play catch up! Good job. Thanks for showing your whoopsies, those things happen in real life. ;)

DaniQuilts said...

My first chevrons came out as flying geese! Grrr! Glad you're caught up. I love your neutrals! Everything is looking great!

Vireya said...

What a great selection of fabrics! Funny how we can all get things the wrong way round no matter how careful we are. Isn't it exciting how close to the end we must be!

Quilter Kathy said...

I did the same thing with some creative placements for the wing triangles! You did amazing job catching up so fast!