Monday, December 2, 2013

Celtic Solstice - Step 1

piecing in progress
I couldn't wait for the instructions to be released on Friday...it was so exciting...but I also knew that I needed to spend the day in Toronto and wouldn't be able to start the mystery for a couple days. I had planned on leaving for Toronto no later than 9 am but when I downloaded the instructions and saw that we were doing 3" finished triangle in a square blocks I knew I had to get everything ready before I left. Lucky for me, my sister Cheryl has this Go die and I had already planned to spend most of Friday with her and my Mom.

fabric ready to go - check!
I didn't have any fabric 'ready' in that I planned to use Bonnie's colour palette and go totally scrappy and just use what I have in my stash. I intended to pull fabrics as the need arose but I didn't plan that I would need to get everything ready in a very short period of time!

I quickly grabbed pieces of fabric that would work....fat quarters, chunks that were smaller and pieces that were bigger. I quickly cut the widths I would need for the Go die and then ran the iron over them to get the creases out.

Just a small sampling of the mess I left!
 In the end, I left my sewing room completely strewn with fabric but I did get all of the fabrics prepped and ready to go and I left my home by 10:30.

cut pieces all ready for sewing
After a day of shopping and running errands my sister and I cut my fabric into the required pieces (actually more than I will need) and I made it home before 9 pm. It was a little later than I intended but I got my pieces all cut and ready to sew as a bonus!

I have started sewing the neutral/blue blocks and plan to finish step one today. I am linking up at Quiltville - pop on over and check out the other links.

14 comments:

Mallorie Anderson said...

You are brave :) I don't think anyone could pay me to post a pic of my sewing room right now!!!

Peg said...

This is so intriguing. I've watched a couple of other mystery quilts, and gave some consideration to joining in on this one, but decided to leave it for now. Maybe I'll print out the instructions, and save for a later date. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy watching you and others build your quilts.

sophie said...

I have been feeling the pull of this mystery–still haven't quite committed–and your post made me realize that I have that Accuquilt die, too, which would make cutting all those triangles SO much easier. Uh oh ...

Thanks for sharing.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your blocks are so pretty! Love that photo of the pieces all ready for sewing...FUN!

Deb A said...

Wow - you are very lucky to have all the cutting done. I've got a little blue to go and then I can sew the little buggers together.

Sheila said...

Looking good! You are way ahead of me :)

Jo said...

Wow.
I was planning on doing this mystery quilt too.
But you are so quick.
Hopefully you will keep me inspired.
Thanks for your help

Jo said...

Looks like the start to another Kathleen's quilt

Vireya said...

Now I can see the point of die cutters! It would have been fantastic to get the cutting done that quickly.

audrey said...

Have to get things messy sometimes in order to get something accomplished.:)

belarmina said...

en mi región decimos ¡¡vas como un talgo!! (tren)esos bloques se ven muy bonitos
buen día

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen
I too am looking forward to seeing this mystery quilt. I just cannot commit because I always seem to want to know what I am going to do, before I start. Love sis

Andee said...

Looking good so far!

Cathy said...

There's actually a machine and a die that cuts pieces like that? So far I like what I see of that mystery. I'm trying to stay away but when I see what everyone is doing I feel like I'm missing out!