Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Memory Quilt

Some of the clothing that has been provided to me.
I have been commissioned to make a memory quilt out of clothing that belonged to a beautiful child that passed away when he was only 3 years old. When I make a quilt my heart always goes into it and this is no exception. As I am taking the first few steps of preparing his clothing for cutting and piecing I am thinking about this family and their little boy and the special impact he had on them.

I am working very closely with his Daddy to make this cuddle quilt as a surprise Christmas gift for his Mommy. I will be sending photos of my progress as I work on it so that input can be given and received throughout the process.

We have already had a meeting to discuss the design and to pick out some fabric to use in addition to the clothing.

The plan is to keep it simple so that we can make the most of the pieces of precious clothing. Many of the articles of clothing are just so small - little t-shirts and onesies - but a flannel blanket has been provided too and that is fantastic.

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

What an important project. Putting the memories of a little loved one into a hug-able little blanket. I am so happy that we get to share this journey. I know you will do a great job and every stitch will be made with love. Love sis

Jo said...

That is so sweet.
I use every night the quilt I made for my sons 18th. He passed away a year ago & had only used it for 7 months.
It will be a special memory for his parents

Cathy said...

What a thoughtful Daddy to think of such a gift for Mommy.

belarmina said...

madre mía !!!
cuanta ternura en este trabajo
hoy te mando, como decimos en mi region
BESINOS

Paul Hamilton said...

Hi Ellen, this is Paul, Zackie's dad. I'm so honoured that you have taken on this project as you know how special this is me. I really appreciate dedication to this cuddle blanket. From the moment we chatted on the phone, I knew you would be the one to make this precious gift come to life and I look forward to working with you over the next couple of weeks. I know it's my sons clothes and the memories that come with each outfit. But I also know you are pouring your heart into it and that means a great deal to me and it will to my wife when she sees this quilt on Christmas day. Thanks again.

Paul Hamilton said...

Jo, my heart goes out to you as unfortunately we share the loss of our sons as something in common. Doesn't matter how old they are, they are still our babies and no parent should have to experience the loss of their children. I hope you get through this difficult time of year and continue to cherish the memories.

audrey said...

Wow, what a special quilt. You are very generous to do this. I hope it is a comfort to the parents.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh how wonderful! You are taking on a very special project. Can't wait to see what you do!

Prima Donna said...

What a beautiful and touching gift this will be. I know you will do a wonderful job putting all these memories together.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Such a very special memory quilt. What an incredibly touching and beautiful gesture! I think it's so awesome that you are making this for the little boy's family!

blauraute said...

This is a very special memory for tha parents of this little boy. It gorgeous what you are doing.
Have a nice weekend and take care
Roswitha