Monday, November 18, 2013

Starburst QAL - Block Three

This block was fairly easy to put together because the four corner blocks are just plain 3.5" squares - no piecing required. My blocks look quite chunky compared to the other blocks I have made because there is a lot less white background fabric showing and those un-pieced dark corner blocks are heavy looking. They do stand out a bit right now but as more blocks are added they will blend in.

I think I am getting a little better at paper-piecing these blocks and I used my fabric more efficiently with less waste. That makes me happy!

Here are all of the blocks I have made so far and I think they all look so good together. I probably should have taken a photo of the blocks all mixed up and spread out a bit. I will make sure I do that next week. I have been anticipating today's release of the next block and I am looking forward to completing it and adding it to the collection.

It is not too late to join the QAL - just pop on over to Little Bunny Quilts. The stars are all so gorgeous and the paper-piecing patterns are being offered for free.

Last night we had a major wind storm with some rain and we lost our power at 10 pm. Apparently the wind caused a problem with a transformer and a good part of our region was blacked out. The power finally came back on at 5:15 this morning and I know the exact time because my husband had been watching TV in bed when the power went out and I was very rudely awakened by the TV suddenly blaring. Startled the you-know-what out of me!

Thankfully the temps overnight were unusually mild so we stayed nice and warm and comfortable in our house. It is just daylight now and my husband took a walk around the perimeter of the house and there doesn't appear to be any wind damage. Apparently we had wind gusts of 100 km/hr - I am so grateful for my nice safe, warm and dry home.

10 comments:

Terry said...

Your star blocks are amazing! We had that wind and rain too, but thankfully we never lost power.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your stars are wonderful! You are going to have one pretty quilt. Love sis

Deb A said...

Those blocks are so pretty! I love the red white and blue in them.
Glad the power is back on and no damage to your house and property. Sounds like there were some really bad storms around yesterday in lots of areas. Going to go save off those patterns now... thanks!

Julierose said...

Blocks are just so pretty--shaping up so well...glad you got your power back--that is no fun to be without...hugs, Julierose

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGosh....such a difference a fabric makes. They each look so unique.

Alison said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes...what a windy night it was!
Love your new blocks... I can't believe they are all the same pattern since they look sooo different from each other!

Grit said...

Looks wonderful so far.

Kelli said...

Amazing, Ellen! :)

Manuela said...

All your blocks looks great.

Greetings, Manuela