Saturday, November 23, 2013

Scrap Happy Saturday

This morning I was all set to start making some more Churn Dash blocks but I just didn't have enough of the same brown scraps to make my blocks. I could have raided my strip bins but I just wasn't feeling it this morning. When I started making these blocks I thought that I wanted all of the fabrics within the block to be consistent but I am going to have to rethink that.

In the meantime, look what I made this morning instead. Isn't it cute :). I think it is an adorable block and it really is perfect for using up scraps each month. The largest amount of fabric used is the background so other than that it is a perfect block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I did use a piece of scrappy brown for the body but I probably should have used it for the wing since that is really the piece that shows up the most in the bird.

I found this block at Block Lotto, which I have just recently joined, and there are some other block patterns on the site that I will also be adding to my repertoire for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. There are quite a few really cute ones!

I am linking up with soscrappy's Rainbow Scrap Challenge - pop on by and check out the links!

9 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I like this! Are you making a flock of scrappy birds?!

Deb A said...

I love this block. So cheerful.

sophie said...

I, of course, think a flock of scrappy bird blocks could make a wonderful quilt. I can't help it ... I tend to fall in love with all the blocks I create for the lotto ;-)

Cathy Tomm said...

Cute little bird block.

soscrappy said...

Such a cute block. Thanks for sharing the link. It would be cute in a rainbow flock.

Jo said...

Your bird block looks great. I'll check out the so scrappy site too.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Oh your little bird block is so adorable! I will be really enjoying seeing you putting your flock of birds together. Will you be using different colours for background or only blues? Love sis

Sheila said...

What a cute little bird! Thanks for the link. I'd like to try to make one. They look difficult.

Cathy said...

Oh, Ellen! He is cute. I think a rainbow scrappy bird quilt would be so cute. I may have to join you on that idea for next year.

I'm actually going to be working on some of those birds for a quilt that's been in my head for awhile. I decided I would work on my bird quilt instead of Bonnie Hunter's mystery this year.