Saturday, November 2, 2013

Scrap Happy Saturday

I had a very lazy start to my morning but I did eventually make my way into my sewing room. Once I got in there I needed to search for a big enough piece of scrappy brown fabric to make my churn dash blocks. I need to have a piece big enough to get the four hst triangles for the large churn dash block but I also need to have some of the same fabric already cut in my 2.5" and 1.5" strip bins...and that seems to take the most time. I do have a very loose plan for these blocks so I do want some consistency and not just have each block totally scrappy. This morning I lucked out and I had enough of the brown fabric to make one 12" block and four 6" blocks. I still have some 1.5" strips available so I should be able to make some 3" blocks as well - but not today. I am linking up with soscrappy's Rainbow Scrap Challenge - pop on over and check out the links. You just might be inspired to use some of your scraps today.

I have to spend some time cleaning up the mess in my sewing room because my sister Cheryl is coming to my place tomorrow. She is going to stay until Wednesday and we are going to have a mini retreat!! I have already let my husband know that I will not be cooking or cleaning so he will have to pick up the slack. No cooking, no cleaning and only spending time sewing or doing quilty related things with my sister sounds just like heaven to me.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Oh I wish I could be there to sew. I hope you have a great time. I like your blocks.

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds wonderful! I am jealous! Enjoy!

Sheila said...

Love your blocks. These are going to be beautiful quilts.

Deb A said...

Sounds perfect to me! Enjoy.

Julie in GA said...

Loving your Churn Dash blocks in different sizes--I can't wait to see them all together.
Have a great time with your sister!

Angie said...

I spent a big chunk of the day playing with HSTs, but was not happy with the results. Thanks to your inspiration, I think I'll go back and try some churn dash blocks.

Julierose said...

Those little blocks are the cutest things, Ellen! I envy you your mini retreat--what fun!! hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

I saw a beautiful quilt made with different sized churn dashes in this post at Quilt Inspiration blog:

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2013/08/quilt-show-catch-up-part-1.html

Can't wait to see what you have in mind for your blocks.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Okay, I am almost ready. Fabric & quilt tops etc are packed. Just a few dishes to do. Still planning to leave at 8:30. Looking forward to seeing your new churn dash blocks. Excited about our three days together. Love sis

Cathy Tomm said...

Mini Retreat What fun! I am having the lazy morning today. Great blocks.