Saturday, November 16, 2013

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

The hexies look big in the photo but they will finish with 1" sides.
Lately I have been thinking about what I want to work on for the challenge next year. The challenge is to use up scraps and leftover bits and pieces of fabric from other projects and such but I also want to end up with quilts to give as gifts or to keep for myself. You know, I really do need to get some things crossed off my quilting bucket list and I know the Rainbow Scrap Challenge can help me to do that. Lately, I have started making churn dash blocks and I have been cutting 2" x 3.5" rectangles but I also wanted to add a few other projects to the list.

I have been watching Michelle of Daisy Hill Quilts while she works on some clam shells and I would love a quilt made from these adorable shapes. When I asked her about them she directed me to some Sue Daley videos that are available on You Tube and now I am just itching to get to work. I tried to make my own papers but I need more practice with my paper cutting skills on curves. Why did I not learn how to do this in elementary school - my smooth rounded edges are really jerky and not smooth at all. I just may have to order some papers instead. In the meantime, I will cut some of my scrappy bits of fabric to size and set them aside until I am ready to use them. The clam shell I tested was 2" finished but I think I will make 3" finished instead so that I will use up more of my 3.5" strips. I don't use that size of block very often and my bin is overflowing!

I also want to make another hexagon quilt and I have started cutting some hexies out of brown scraps this month. I have a small template that I can use to draw my cutting line and sewing line so I will just hand stitch the hexagons together once I decide on a pattern. I did the same thing when I made this quilt for my Mother except I used a home made template for that one.

The clam shells and the hexagons really are long-term projects so I still need to think about a few other types of blocks that I can make while participating in the challenge. Even though I like to hand piece and hand quilt I do still have the need for speed too!

Hop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

8 comments:

Sheila said...

What cute hexies. I have seen some beautiful clam shell quilts on the internet.
For my RSC blocks I go to my scraps first. As I've been sewing awhile and make LOTS of mistakes, I have LOTS of scraps. Still, if I have a piece of fabric in my stash that I'm itching to cut and use in some blocks I go for it. My stash is mainly half yards and less, lots of fat quarters and mostly smaller pieces that all bought on sale and on the greatly reduced shelf. In other words, scrappy in itself. Like you, I need to produce some pretty quilts, and items for myself, my family and my friends ... now.

Angie said...

I'm also planning to use next year's RSC to do a bucket list quilt. I need to make a practice block before the end of the year just to see if everything works out.

Julierose said...

Oh I love those clamshells too. I am still not pulling my browns! Just cannot get to them...hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

I am intrigued by the clamshell shape... very cool!

Brenda said...

When you are cutting the curves - do you move scissors or the paper around the curve?

Move the paper and let the scissors to the cutting, you will find the edges alot smoother.

And have fun on your next journey....

katie z. said...

I've been pondering my projects for next year as well! Trying very hard to see what scraps can be made into bucket list quilts is fun and challenging.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your hexagon and clam shell projects are lovely and ambitious. The hexagon quilt you made for mom is beautiful. I am sure all your projects will turn out to be beautiful masterpieces. Looking forward to seeing them in progress. Loves sis

belarmina said...

Bonito trabajo !!!
este pasado abril, tuve la suerte de asistir a un curso con Sue Daley
en Madrid, fue muy, muy, interesante trabajamos con sus reglas, plantillas y sus materiales,fue un día emocionante y divertido Sue tiene un gran sentido del humor,
lo pasamos muy bien, siempre lo recordare
saludos