Thursday, November 14, 2013

Rainbow Quilt - Oh the Possibilities!

I really want to thank all of my readers that gave me such great suggestions for the layout problem I was having with my rainbow quilt. I really was about ready to just give up and turn it into two smaller donation quilts and be done with it. Thankfully, I received so many wonderful and creative ideas to finish my Rainbow Quilt top that would transform this awkward looking flimsy into a piece of beauty.

One of the things that I didn't see was an opportunity to make a quilt that I could really practice on to learn some techniques with my long arm machine. Previously, when I have made a quilt I always avoided large plain blocks and borders, particularly plain white ones, because I just didn't pay attention to the possibility of filling the spaces with quilting designs.

I have decided to go with the suggestion that I received from Audrey of Quilty Folk. Her suggestion was to remove one row of blocks and turn them into cornerstones with a white border to fit. I have removed one row of blocks and have started to remove the narrow outer border that encapsulated the blocks and sashing. I will be spending some time today with my seam ripper but I think it will be time well spent. I don't know how my quilting will look in those large empty border spaces, other than I am certain that it will look like a beginner did it, and that is okay because we all have to start at the beginning! It is such a pretty quilt and I know I will love it when I get it finished.

4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great idea! I am excited and can't wait to see what happens next!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree with Audrey about open places. Today's quilts quite often don't have the balance of design and quilting that great antique quilts have. I am glad you have come up with some solutions. I also like your attitude about just going for it, we don't improve unless we wander into the unknown!

audrey said...

I'm so glad that you've found a solution! Very frustrating to spend time with a seam ripper, but ultimately very short lived and then you can enjoy your quilt! Good luck with your machine quilting! Am anxious to see this one come together.:)

Cheryl said...

So happy you made your decision. I think that your idea to show off some pretty quilting designs in a white border is fantastic! Love sis