Sunday, November 10, 2013

Rainbow Blocks

The quilt is oriented on it's side in this photo.
I worked on sewing these blocks into a flimsy on Saturday and I don't think I knew what I was doing. I don't really have much space to lay out my blocks in my sewing room so I just started sewing them together in what I thought was a pleasing layout. When I was finished, I took it to my dining room table to press it all out and add the outer border and yuck...I don't like the layout. The length is okay but it is just way too narrow and does not look balanced.

I am not sure what to do to correct it. It would make a beautiful full sized quilt if I can figure out a suitable way to make it wider without making it look like an add-on. It is currently approx 58" x 86" and I just don't like those proportions. I don't really want to make more blocks so I wonder if a strip of colour down each side either in a straight line or as a zig zag would work? The other option may be just to divide it into two equal sections, adjust the outer border and turn it into two smaller donation quilts. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated!

9 comments:

Grit said...

I love your Rainbow blocks. They are so wonderful.

Angie said...

For one of my RSC quilts I added a random scrappy border after the inner white border. Then I added another wider white border. I don't think it looked like an add-on because I used the same type of rainbow scrappy fabrics I had used in the quilt.

Here's a picture in case my description isn't making sense:
http://quiltingcrescent.blogspot.com/2013/04/rainbow-scrap-quilt-10.html

scraphappy said...

I think that smaller blocks on each side would be a nice addition to your quilt. Is there room for a row of nine patches on each side? If not, even some nice light and rainbow four patches would give a nice border effect. You could also split it in the middle and add a narrow row in the center, that might give you some additional width. I love the colors though, so bright and happy!

katie z. said...

I would agree with Angela!

audrey said...

I think you could take one row of 4 blocks off and then use those blocks for cornerstones (border would of course be as wide as your blocks). Your border fabric could be a very colorful fabric, white or you could even draw out the color you like best in your quilt to the border.

canuckquilter said...

Could you be persuaded to make one more block? Then you could do a 5x5 layout. A color strip of color (either solid or pieced scraps) sandwiched between two white strips would make a good cap on the ends of the quilt, then white borders on the sides to get the width you need. I'm not explaining well - I'll email you a picture.

Manuela said...

Your rainbowblocks looks fantastic.
I like the quilt.

Greetings, Manuela

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your rainbow blocks. Everyone has made such good suggestions. I know it will all come together and be a beautiful quilt. Love sis

Julie in GA said...

I like the idea of making one more block and setting them 5x5. That should take you up to about 72" square, and you could get it to a decent size with borders. I think your blocks look great together.