Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Mini Retreat - Day 2


Monday was another fun but tiring day and there was even a little bit of upset. I quilted this beautiful quilt for my sister and it mostly turned out fabulous. Cheryl really loved the Boy's Britches quilt that I am making so much that she decided to design a similar one that would be a lot easier to put together. I think she did a fabulous job and it is really wonderful. She has called it Little Boy's Bloomers.

This quilt is huge...it is 87" x 96" and I quilted it with a brown thread and star burst pantograph and it seemed to be going very well until very close to the end. All of a sudden we heard this really horrible, very loud noise and we realized the needle had broken. When the needle broke it damaged the quilt back and put a small hole in the front. It really did upset me that this happened even though I had no control over it.




Damage to the back
Can any long armer's out there tell me how they would handle this with a customer quilt. How do you remedy it - I have no idea how to fix it for my sister. Thankfully my sister is very kind and accepting of the fact that it was just something that happened and hopes that we can somehow fix it.

With Cheryl's help I also made the backing for my sister Kathlene's quilt and I made it into a monster. It is really way too large and I have no idea why I did that. I will trim it down when I square it up later this morning.

The chef at the mini retreat is already running out of enthusiasm and he only made us a salad for dinner and said we were lucky he made us anything!

4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

If possible I would just applique a little matching patch on the top and bottom over the hole.
I laughed about your chef! Sounds like take out food might be on the menu today!

Cathy said...

I'd take out the quilting in that area. Then I'd look over the extra fabric you have at the side and try to find a spot that matches up with the print in the damaged area. Then I'd applique a patch over the area. If you've matched the print well, it will be almost invisible once the quilting is done. I have done this, altho not with a broken needle, but with a pair of scissors that I left on the quilt while advancing it. I explained what had happened to the customer and apologized deeply.

Deb A said...

Yikes! I think you have gotten some good advise. I love your sisters quilt - gorgeous.
Some ideas for the chef - buy some pizza dough and fixings and bake a pizza for you guys. Crock pot - 10-15 minutes of prep work in the morning for him and a meal is ready when you are - soup, stew, chili.... Or he could just buy chocolate and put it at the sewing room door =)

audrey said...

Oh no! Too bad about your quilting mishap. The quilt is really lovely and bright. Sounds like your chef needs some pizza delivered.:)