Monday, November 4, 2013

Mini Retreat - Day 1



My sister arrived yesterday just before noon and the fun began. She brought a whole load of goodies with her including some fabric that I needed from her stash.

We quilted this adorable quilt that she made for her first grandchild that will be arriving in February. She doesn't know if it is a girl or boy because the baby had it's legs crossed during the ultrasound - pretty cheeky don't you think!

I did have a bit of trouble when I first started the quilting and couldn't understand what was wrong until I realized I had loaded the quilt incorrectly. The quilting looked really bad so we ended up spending the time to pick it out and then reloaded the quilt correctly. My sister originally said that she didn't mind the way it looked but to me it would have really detracted from her gorgeous quilt. In the end, I think she was very happy that we spent that time with the seam ripper.

Cheryl designed this quilt herself and I quilted it using yellow thread in a free hand loopy loop meander.

Later in the evening, while we were watching the Walking Dead, I did some fabric ironing. There was a time when my sister used to iron all of my fabric for me but now that she is a quilter she just doesn't have time to do it anymore. Boy oh boy, I do miss those days!

The meals have been great so far - my husband made breaded pork chops, green beans and a nicely seasoned rice for dinner. The retreat is going fabulously!!

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

You are in heaven for sure! I am living vicariously through you!

laurajane said...

Beautiful quilt bright and cheerful like jewels.xx

Deb A said...

Sounds like your retreat is going well. Give your hubby a big hug for making such a great meal so you could visit and sew!

Linda said...

Sounds like you are having such fun. The baby quilt is super cute.

audrey said...

That baby quilt is so striking! Very lovely! Too bad about the ironing strike too.:)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What fun!

Frances said...

I love the colours in this quilt, great joint effort!