Thursday, November 28, 2013

Kathlene's Quilt

 

Kathlene's quilt is nearly done and I am just so excited about it! This is what it looked like when I took it off the frame. I tried to get a good picture of the quilting but I just can't seem to do it very well.

I did learn a few more techniques while working on the quilting - such as how to handle the side edges of the quilt while stitching a pantograph. Those side edges can really cause trouble when you stitch off the edge and then try to get back on again. I think I have that all worked out now - thank goodness. It would be really good if I could apprentice with someone that has a long arm and that would be willing to teach me and share their knowledge and experience.
I have made the binding and attached it by machine to the front and I have started stitching it by hand to the back. This quilt is huge...I took a photo of it hanging from the dining room table as I was trimming it after the quilting was finished...it is just so pretty!  I thought I had a name for this quilt but now I am not so sure about it - I really do need to figure that out soon!!

7 comments:

Deb A said...

Beautiful job on the quilt and quilting Ellen! You have one lucky sister.

Prima Donna said...

This is such a gorgeous quilt! I think the light color star points really make it pop. Beautiful!

Peg said...

Very lovely! Have you tried checking on-line for some quilting lessons and tips?

Quiltbenaco said...

Stupendo!
I colori sono fantastici!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Just so beautiful! I cannot wait to meet her in person. Love sis

soscrappy said...

I think you have done a fabulous job picking up the nuances of longarm quilting. Think of all the quilts you have finished already and how long that would have taken the old way.

Cathy said...

Beautiful! I wish one of my sisters knew how to sew so they could give me something so beautiful. I have to quilt on my plain old Janome so no tips on quilting from me!