Saturday, October 26, 2013

Scrap Happy Saturday - Black

I have been working away at cutting my scrappy bits of fabric and found a few nice chunky sized black pieces that were trimmed from the backing of my quilt 'Shoot for the Stars'. I folded up the larger long piece that had been trimmed from one of the sides of the quilt and put it in my fat quarter bins for later use. When I cut the remainder of the backing scraps I made sure to cut some strips for my churn dash blocks.

I made one large block that will finish at 12", four 6" blocks and six 3" blocks. I don't really have a specific plan for these blocks yet but they really are such a classic and I think they will all look great together in a quilt.

I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge - hop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links. You just may be inspired to dig into your scraps and use them up!

Today is a cool and blustery day. It has been raining most of the morning and there have even been some wet snowflakes mixed in. It is the perfect kind of day to stay inside so this afternoon I will work on removing the wallpaper from the second part of the kitchen. I think the evening will be well spent working on some hand quilting.

11 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your blocks are looking good.

Cathy said...

I saw a quilt I loved that used different sizes of churn dashes. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Edith said...

These look great, quite a lot of blocks there, I'm impressed.

katie z. said...

I love the idea of the same block in multiple sizes!

Julie in GA said...

What a great idea to make the same block pattern in different sizes. They look great!

Deb A said...

Love your churn dashes..... I may have to make a few.

sara said...

Your blocks are very very nice!!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I really like the different sizes of churn dashes. I sure hope you finish with all that wallpaper business soon! Love sis

soscrappy said...

Truly a classic block. I am sure they will find a good home eventually.

Sheila said...

True. This is a classic block. It's a lot of fun to pull orphan blocks and make a quilt colorful quilt with you need one.

Cathy Tomm said...

Great blocks love the idea of three different sizes that can be used together.