Monday, October 7, 2013

Midget Block #85 - Whirling Star

The pieces look so messy until they are trimmed.
I started working on this midget block fairly late at night and I didn't get it finished until after 11 pm. The first clue that I had that I was too tired was the number of times I had to remove my stitching because I goofed up either by sewing the wrong line or by miscutting the fabric. You know how difficult it is to remove those little teeny tiny stitches when paper piecing!! I probably should have just put it away and called it a night but I was determined to finish it.


This is another one of those blocks that tricked me into thinking it was going to be a very simple one to make....ha! Other than being tired and making silly mistakes it did go together quite easily and the process was straightforward until I got to the outer edge.
I didn't clue in to the difficult corners until I got there!
Do you see it? Those corners are not straight - they are angled. I did those mitered corners by machine and I think I did a pretty good job. I have learned so much and certainly have increased my skills by making these blocks and my Dear Jane blocks as well.


5 comments:

Cathy said...

It was worth the time it took, though. It is a very pretty block. From the pattern, just after a quick look, those corners look like half square triangles and not set ins.

Deb A said...

I checked back and that angle ended up being a hand work part for me to finish it. You did a great job with machine piecing it.

scraphappy said...

Bravo! I was doing a similar corner yesterday and it would have stopped me dead in my tracks before the midgets. Such a great skill builder of a quilt. Great looking block too!

audrey said...

Wow! Can't believe you finished up such a complicated block late in the evening! It looks great!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your little Whirling Star Block. It turned out really nice. So glad you were able to conquer this little trouble maker. Love sis