Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dear Jane - Streak of Lightening (C-2)



At first glance at this block I thought I would hand piece the whole thing but after taking a little closer look I decided that a combo of hand piecing and applique might work a little better for me.

I made my templates by tracing the block onto freezer paper (just love that stuff!!) but I did make a minor adjustment to the corners. I made my background corner pieces whole by ignoring the two larger corner triangles. I had decided that I would applique those larger corner triangles over the corners instead of trying to piece them into it.
Just need to add the applique triangles!











I love how this little block has turned out. As I make these blocks, and the midget blocks as well, I am learning so many new techniques and sometimes I am really successful and sometimes they just don't turn out very well because I am such a beginner with applique. When I have a success like this it drives me to continue learning and practicing!

Edit - I forgot to add that I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to check out other links and find some great inspiration!


8 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Interesting block, and love the name!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great job and I love the color of the fabric.

scraphappy said...

Your block turned out great. It is nice to keep learning new ways of putting it all together. Sometimes I forget what it was like to be a beginner -- looking at a block like that would have scared me silly.

Deb A said...

Love how your block turned out and how you show how you did it. You are so smart to figure out how to break them down and make them.

libbyquilter said...

i agree you were very clever putting this one together and it is a beautiful block~!

:-)
libbyQ

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Beautiful little block. It turned out so very pretty. Love the blue and white that you used. Love sis

Quilter Kathy said...

It's amazing how you figure out the best way to construct these tiny blocks!
It turned out perfectly!
Thanks for linking up!

jan said...

Oh I think it looks terrific. great job.
I am a new follower. Found your blog through Slow Stitching Sundays.
xo jan@sewandsowfarm