Friday, October 18, 2013

Busy Days


There has not been a lot of sewing going on around here but boy - oh - boy I have been busssssyyyyy! I did get two more winding ways blocks sewn but that is all. I thought I would show you a tool that I do use all of the time especially when I am working on tricky bits like curves.
Nut Picker

I find that this little device helps me hold things in the correct position for sewing. Even though I do use a lot of pins when I am sewing these curves, I often find that the leading edges will start to separate and get misaligned before I can get them sewn. It's not fancy but it does the job and it didn't cost me anything extra either! I tried to take a photo showing it in action but it was so hard to sew, hold the camera and take the picture. When I am sewing curves I do sew slowly and that allows me to have very good control of the placement of the fabric and the picker.

I have been spending most of my time removing wallpaper...ugh! Remind me to neverever wallpaper again. We wallpapered our kitchen and eating area just about 19 years ago and of course it has needed updating for many years but who really wants to remove wallpaper?!

 I set out to wash the kitchen walls the other day and thought that if I was going to go through all that trouble that I should just remove the paper. We have quite a large kitchen and I am just about finished removing the paper from the eating area and I hope to have the walls all washed by the end of the day. Once that is done, the next step is to clear out the cooking area and to start removing that wallpaper. I am exhausted just thinking about it!

3 comments:

canuckquilter said...

Thanks for the tip about the nut picker. Do you use templates to cut your winding ways pieces? I'd like to try that block but I'm not sure how to start.

I'm with you on the wallpaper! My husband and I have agreed to never put any up (just putting up a simple little border strip of it strained our communication skills!) but we have removed plenty that was already in the house when we moved in several years ago. We're down to just the entryway, but it's a split-level and we can't reach all the way up, and we're chicken about ladders. One of these days it will come down! Good luck with the rest of your kitchen!

audrey said...

Very interesting quilting tool! I'll have to remember that one.:)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your Winding Ways blocks are really cute! Removing wallpaper really is a bit of a pain. My motto is if you have to wall paper put it on a small wall with no corners etc. Love sis