Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bordering on Insanity

After supper last night I was finally able to go to my sewing room and I thought I was going to work on my winding ways blocks but that didn't happen.

It appears that my boy's britches quilt had other ideas and as soon as I entered my sewing room it started demanding attention from me. What could I do but accept that I still need to figure out a border for this quilt.

Do you hear that sound......that is the sound of me losing my mind! I have tried so many different options for a border with this quilt but I am just not feeling it. I had thought that I might like a checkerboard but it seems to overtake the quilt.

Next, I tried some leftover colourful hsts around the edge......


Then I tried using those hsts with white triangles...


The border has to be somewhere, I have tried so many options already but nothing is really singing to me. It just may be that I am trying too hard and I should just border it with just a plain white inner border and then a plain black one as the outer border. 

I even pulled out some fabrics from my stash that are colourful with black backgrounds but I am not too sure about them either.


I have to get ready to go to the dentist now so while I am there I will think about the border some more. I am not a fan of going to the dentist, even for just a cleaning, so this border might be driving me crazy but it will be a good distraction to think about while I am sitting in the chair!

11 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the first border with the black and white checks. I think it really balances out the quilt and makes the quilt sparkle!

Cathy said...

The shape that is pooping out at me as I look at the quilt is the white diamond formed by the meeting of four blocks. It's a fairly large amount of white, with the coloured triangles on the corners. That might work as a border and not overwhelm the quilt. Altho, after saying that, I like the checker board, too.

Andrea said...

I really like the hst's with white triangles - it's a lovely quilt x

Andrea said...

I really like the hst's with white triangles - it's a lovely quilt x

Grit said...

All borders are so wonderful. My favorite is the black and white.
Greetings Grit

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love the checkerboard with this quilt. I know the internet looks different than in person but from where I am I like it. Love sis

audrey said...

how frustrating for you! the checkerboard is very graphic but with a bright binding it might look less overpowering to you? good luck with your distraction!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's probably terrible to say but I am enjoying your border challenge so much! These bossy and demanding quilts are real characters that push us to grow and to listen and to be so creative. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Deb A said...

Glad to know I am not the only one that gets stuck with fussy quilts! I would lean towards a thin black border, then the colorful hst's or the hst's with white, then maybe a bigger black border for some fun quilting (feathers, pants all around?) and then a scrappy colorful binding...... just a thought. Don't be too hard on the quilt... it will tell you what it really wants eventually =).

scraphappy said...

I do like the idea of the checkerboard bringing out the shapes that are already in the quilt, but I also see your point about it being a very strong border. How would those units look alternated with some simple colored squares, or even as a center between two solid borders? Maybe just a wide border outside to calm it all down? I know the quilt will decide soon what it wants. I hope it tells you.

Manuela said...

All the borders are wonderful.
I like the triangle.

Greetings, Manuela