Monday, September 2, 2013

Turning Blocks into a Top

This picture was taken at an odd angle - oopsy!
I have sewn all of the boy's britches blocks into a top and I...love...it! I can't believe how easy it was to sew them all together. The individual blocks were very challenging for me to make particularly because I did mostly one batch per month and I would forget how I put the previous blocks together. You know...all of the little things you figure out as you make them. It was like relearning the technique each time I made a new colour batch. When I made the blocks I did try to be careful with the piecing and even though they were not perfect the blocks all seemed to fit together into the top really well. I can't believe how well I did with matching the points and seams - never perfect - but they turned out much better than I anticipated. I really thought I was going to have a heck of a time matching the blocks together.

I plan to add multiple borders and I want to have one that is pieced but I have to do a bit of trial and error first. I do hope that it works out because I think it will be really cute. As I am sitting here I just thought of another border idea too - there are so many options - at least one just has to work out!!

5 comments:

Angie said...

I'm so happy this project turned out for you - I thought this would be a wonderful quilt as soon as you started showing your design ideas. Good on you for sticking with your design inspiration!

Grit said...

Looks so fantastic.

Deb A said...

They all went together so perfectly! I love how this came out. Good luck with the borders... that always stops me. I really want an applique border for my birds in the air.... but not sure what or how so all my blocks just sit waiting.

Cheryl said...

Oh Ellen

They are so beautiful together! Really going to love this one. I am so excited to see what you decide for the borders. Love sis

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness...that is one gorgeous quilt. Glad you can think of borders. I never can so I don't!