Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Best of Times and the Worst of Times

They remind me of string blocks!
I had a very busy week last week and I didn't have as much time to sew as I normally would. I needed to work on something very simple so I picked up some knitting needles that have been idle for a very long time. I made a few dishcloths that will be given away and I think I will continue to make a few more today. It is very calming and soothing to just knit such a simple item. Just what I needed this week.

The past week has been a week of highs and lows. My friend Evelyn passed away on Monday from breast cancer. She fought that evil disease for 19 years - she was so determined to live and live she did to the fullest. Her funeral was on Friday and she had written that cancer is weak....it cannot take away your soul or the love of friends and family. I had met Evelyn through my dearest friend Louise many years ago. Evelyn and Louise were each others pillars of support but sadly Louise lost her battle in October last year and I miss her terribly. Several months ago, I had made a quilt for Evelyn and when I gave it to her it brought tears to her eyes. It made her so happy to think that I would spend my time making her a quilt.

Even though there was a lot of sadness last week there was also a lot of joy. I spent the whole day on Thursday with two of my sisters, my Mom and two of my nieces. I left my home at 8:30 in the morning and drove to Toronto, then on to Milton, Guelph and Acton and then eventually back again. I didn't get home until 10 pm but we had a fabulous fun day together. I love my family!!

Saturday was another very happy day. My husband and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary and we also went to a get together to celebrate the birth of my friend Louise's first grandchild. Baby Tina was born in June and they wanted to have a get together when family and friends would be able to gather. I gave the quilt that I had made and everyone loved it. It is always so wonderful to welcome a new baby - life does go on!

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts Slow Stitching Sunday.

7 comments:

Julierose said...

My condolences on your loss (es). I just love the baby quilt--and a new baby is such a gift, isn't it? We are going up to see our new granddaughter on her big sister's B-day next month--2yrs old and Will will be almost 2 mos old...such fun!! hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I'm sure your quilt brought her great comfort.
Congrats on your anniversary!
Thanks for linking up!

Sheila said...

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend.
I love your dishcloths. Love to knit them, too becaurs I find knitting very relaxing, too.
Yes. A new baby means that life goes on.

libbyquilter said...

definately a week full of both the good and the bad. i'm sorry for you in the loss of your long time friend. it sounds as though she knew what was important and those are definately the best kinds of people.
your dishcloths are so pretty that they would take all of the drudgery out of kitchen clean-up. it's good to find something that our hands already know the way of when we feel a bit introspective, isn't it?

hugs,
libbyQ

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of a dear friend. So glad you found some time to knit, like you said something simple to give yourself some time to ponder about all that has happened. I love making those cotton cloths, they are wonderful to make on a trip and then to gift to whomever you are visiting.

Deb A said...

I'm so sorry about your friends. It sounds like they both loved life and lived it to the fullest. So glad some knitting has helped you this week and your dish cloths looks great.
I hope you had a wonderful day with your hubby and contrats on 28 years.

sewyouquilt2 said...

so sorry to hear about your friends. sounds like they both loved life and living it. May your happy memories help you through this loss. quilts always comfort us. they bring joy to happy occasions too. it is funny. when I "need to do something" I also turn to knitted dishcloths. great minds think alike :-)