Monday, September 30, 2013

Piecing Winding Ways Blocks

Today turned out to be a rainy, dull and dreary day and it was a perfect day to sew. I added six more winding ways blocks to the two I had made previously.

I was asked if I am hand-piecing my winding ways blocks and even though I think they would be a great block to hand piece I am doing mine by machine. These blocks are not difficult to sew at all because I have some help with keeping the pieces aligned. I do sew them at a slower speed and with more care and I use plenty of pins.

My sister and I cut them using her Go Studio and the die cuts the pieces and leaves notches in the seam allowance for matching them together. I think that really does help a lot. If you are making your own templates I would suggest making them with notches too.

4 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful blocks Ellen!
I love your fabric choices.
The GO makes the cutting so convenient and accurate.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your winding ways blocks look lovely! The pink and brown fabrics are really pretty. Love sis

Grit said...

Wonderful blocks!!!! I love the fabrics you used.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Thanks for showing the notches, very similar to clothing patterns, makes sense. Your blocks are looking wonderful!