Thursday, September 12, 2013

Moving Right Along


I am really enjoying the process of making the quilt blocks for my sister Kathlene's quilt. It has been such a breeze so far and I know it is all because my sister Cheryl spent her time cutting the quilt top for me. I am so glad she did that part for me!

I finished sewing the triangle in a square blocks on Tuesday and it didn't really take all that much time. Each of the pieces really did fit together very well so I didn't have to fuss with them too much. I wanted to start sewing the next segments together but I knew my machine needed a bit of TLC. I also needed to fill some bobbins so this was the perfect time to stop and take a breather and give my machine a much deserved cleaning.

Every time I change the bobbin I always brush out the area and get all of the visible lint out before I insert the new bobbin. I can't remember the last time that I took the plate off and cleaned inside and this is what I found when I opened it up. I have been doing a lot of sewing on my Janome 1600 (which I absolutely love) and I guess I have been neglecting her because I haven't been oiling her either. I knew that if I was using her a lot then I should be oiling her every day but for some reason I forgot all about that.

This is what she rewarded me with after I gave her a bit of a spa treatment on Wednesday......I was able to sew all of these 2 patches (224) together and she was smooth. This machine really is quite the workhorse! I still need to add one purple square onto half of them but that will wait for another day.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I often resist the oiling and cleaning but after talking to you yesterday I thought I had better do some oiling too. Your little patches look great! You are moving right along with Kathlene's quilt! It is going to be beautiful! Love sis