Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Midget Block #84 - Mill Wheel


I didn't follow the instructions that were given for this block. Instead I decided to hand-piece it and I think I made a good decision. The template pieces were not included on the pattern sheet so I took a look in my Block Base program and I found it as block #1487 so I was able to print the template pieces to the size I needed for the block.

It always does surprise me when I sew together curved pieces because they do look so innocent with the pieces just laying on the table. Once you turn them over and try to match the seams they aren't so innocent looking at all!

My first instinct was to sew it in rounds starting from the center out but I caught myself before doing that and realized that it would be so much easier to sew them into triangles and then to join those together to make a square. It was a very simple process to sew all of the smaller squares together to create the block.

These blocks are available at Sentimental Stitches and many of them have very generously been made available for free. That could change at any time so if you are interested in making these blocks you should download the patterns now. I missed out on blocks 1 though 50 because they were retired before I was aware of the patterns.

6 comments:

Deb A said...

Your block came out great! Smart choice on making the triangles and then sewing them together.

Sheila said...

Great block!!

laurajane said...

A very good job done,and I love the colours.x

audrey said...

Wow! Your block looks great!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

This block looks very complicated. Great job on figuring out an easy way to piece it. Looks great! Love Sis

scraphappy said...

The last midget blocks were posted recently, I wasn't sure if you had seen them..