Thursday, September 26, 2013

Joining the Quilt Guild

I joined the local quilt guild (Region of York Quilters Guild) after a long wait. I had tried to become a member a couple years ago but they had a long waiting list and this year I finally became a member. Apparently they are considered a large guild with a maximum of 200 members. I am really hoping that it is going to be a really good experience for me. I am mostly a solitary quilter, every so often my sister Cheryl joins me and I love it but it just doesn't happen often enough. Of course I also share what I am making by blogging and I also enjoy that immensely. I really do want to meet other women that share the same obsession interest as me. I am looking forward to creating new long-lasting friendships!

The first meeting after the summer break took place last night and I really enjoyed myself. The guest speaker was Kathy Wylie and she gave a talk on many methods of applique and showed some really gorgeous quilts.

I signed up for a little one day sewing get together for new members that will take place on Oct 5. We will be making a small project of some sort but the whole point of the session is to become acquainted with other new members.

The block of the month for October is boxy stars and I was so excited to participate that I have already made one. The example that they showed in the newsletter was done in Fall-like colours so I decided to stick with that theme and used warm colours too.

5 comments:

audrey said...

Good for you! I hope it turns out to be a positive experience for you.:)

Scrapatches said...

Wonderful block. May you make many friends and quilts in your new guild! ... :)

Cathy said...

I joined a guild last year, after spending many years as a solitary quilter.Over all, it has been an enjoyable experience, and the parts that haven't been have been due to my shyness rather than problems with the guild. As I get to know more people it is becoming more and more fun. All this to say, I hope you enjoy it too. Sewing and quilting with friends is one of the best things ever.

Deb A said...

Love your boxy stars! I need to look up that pattern... it would be a great scrap buster.... like I need a new project =)
Hope you enjoy your new guild. I hope someday to join one down here..... maybe next year.

Quilter Kathy said...

Awesome that you were able to join the guild! I know you will love it!