Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Check Your Seam Allowance!!!

still need to be sewn and trimmed
Yesterday morning I took a little time and headed into my sewing room to work on my sister Kathlene's quilt blocks. Ever since I put those few test blocks together I have been itching to get more done. My next step was to add all of the little triangles onto the triangle in a square blocks. I did get through all of the blocks and had added the triangles to three sides before I realized that I had my 1/4" seam allowance set incorrectly.

The last time I used my sewing machine I had made a paper pieced block and had removed my seam guide. When I was finished I put the seam guide back on the machine but didn't check the accuracy and it was off just slightly. You wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but because I am adding so many pieces (and seam allowances) that it is enough to make a big difference.

I do have small marks on the machine bed for the seam guide alignment but I still have to double check because the smallest deviation makes the blocks come out all wonky. Even with trimming the blocks are not exactly as they should be and I hope it doesn't affect how they will look in the finished block.

trimmed

It is funny (not really) but the other day I was reading Audrey's blog Quilty Folk and she talked about how time consuming it was to trim blocks and I commented that I found trimming blocks to be very tedious. Well, guess what I am doing....ugh!

I watched some of Bonnie Hunter's quilt cam last night while I sewed more blocks and did some trimming. I am doing them in smaller batches so that I don't get too overwhelmed.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

You know I always have difficulty keeping that 1/4" seam allowance accurate. Somehow I manage to get the blocks together. Your little blocks look great. Really looking forward to you having this quilt top finished. So excited! Love sis

Kelli said...

The seam allowance makes a huge difference when there are a lot of pieces to a block.. I only recently figured out the difference between a scant quarter inch seam and a quarter inch seam and it made all the difference! I don't envy you trimming all those blocks. ;)

audrey said...

Oh no! I have done that before too and it makes a huge difference. Hope it all works out well for you.

Scrapatches said...

Trimming blocks does sometimes seem tedious to me, but it also makes for better quilts so I try to relax and just enjoy the pretty pieces. Your units look lovely and very interesting ... :) Pat