Friday, September 13, 2013

A Border Decision ???

Close up of the fabric - I like it but....









I spent most of my day in Toronto and when I got back I wanted to run to my sewing room to work on the border for my Boy's Britches quilt right away but that didn't happen. Instead, while my son Eric unloaded the groceries I brought home I got my pups organized for a walk. I have been promising them that I would start taking them for walks again once the weather cooled and I just couldn't go back on my word after making such promises! Then, of course, I had to make supper.....and then...finally I got into my sewing room. I was so looking forward to starting the borders for this quilt. I had a vision in my mind and I was so excited to get going.  I sewed some of the strips together to make pairs of black and white squares because I thought I would like to finish the 4 patches along the edges. Next, I cut strips of the fabric that I had in mind but oh oh...I don't think it works very well.

My next idea was to trial another black and white fabric but I don't know about it either. By this time I was feeling a bit discouraged.

So I tried another idea - black and white fabric paired together in strips - another big fat nope!

Next I tried just plain black but that is a no go as well. I was ready to give up and I was not feeling too happy at all because none of my ideas were working.

I decided to try one more option and I do think it works better than all of the others. I haven't sewn any of the black and white strips so it is a bit difficult to see but maybe, just maybe this border will work? Or, maybe I am completely on the wrong track and just need to sit back and think about it for a while.




7 comments:

audrey said...

So very frustrating when the good ideas don't come out the way they should, the way you see them so clearly in your head. I would try a thin black border to encase the quilt and then do the black and white squares (single checkerboard) all the way around the outside which would still be very graphic and strong. Oh well, I'm sure you'll come up with something amazing.:)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I know you will find the right border for this beauty. Sometimes you just have to keep using your imagination and voila it just shows up. I know it will end up looking wonderful. Love sis

Sheila said...

I feel your pain as that has happened to me several times. When it does, I usually let the quilt tip sit out for awhile while I audition all kinds of borders. All colors, prints, multiple borders. Around the sides until I stumble upon an ahhhhhh moment. Sometimes I do that with the binding, too.

Peg said...

That's a toughie - I like the last option. Wonder if a skinny solid black would work just to finish it off (or solid black binding). Love the quilt!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

I like the first choice!
Maybe an appliqued black ric rac between the blocks and that border would give it a bit of a stop border effect but still carry on the 4 patches?
Love this quilt!

Julierose said...

That is really a hard decision--I think finding the just right border that will make your quilt "feel" right to you, is one of the more difficult things to do. Is it too plain, too busy, or what? I like your last pix the best so far...will be watching to see what you choose...hugs and good luck, Julierose

Cathy said...

I like the last border picture. But I'm no border expert. I can never think of a border so my quilts usually don't have them!