Wednesday, August 14, 2013

'Shoot for the Stars'

On Tuesday, I finished the quilt that I was making for my nephew Norman. While I was making it I was calling it the Stars and Nines quilt but now it has it's official name - Shoot for the Stars. I had been working on the binding on and off over the past several days in fits and spurts and all of those bits of time did add up to a finished binding and ultimately a finished quilt.

This quilt was made with scraps of red fabric that I took from my crumb and string bins. I turned those bits and pieces into 3.5" squares and they became part of the larger nine patches. I save even the smallest pieces of scraps and I am very happy when I am able to use them up in a quilt. I love the little nine patch border and corner stars that I added - I think they add a lot of interest to this quilt. Shoot for the Stars finished at approx 75" x 88" and I quilted it with a shooting star pantograph and used a neutral thread.

My nephew has a wonderful future ahead of him and I hope he does shoot for the stars!

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love this quilt! Shoot for the stars turned out so beautiful! The border is gorgeous on this quilt so glad you went with those extra nine patches. Love sis

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

How wonderful! Love using scraps and what you have done with the border. Great quilt!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on a fantastic finish!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Fantastic, it is so wonderful to support our nieces and nephews in their life endeavors. WTG Auntie.

audrey said...

This is one of my favorite quilts you've done! I just love it. Wonderful for you to put so much work into a gift.:)

Angie said...

Wonderful! Lucky nephew!

Manuela said...

The Quilt is fantastic. A wonderful gift.

Grit said...

Wow, looks so wonderful. I love this pattern and your fabrics.
Fantastic.

Cathy said...

What a gorgeous quilt and a great use of crumbs. Great name too. Lucky nephew!