Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Midget Block #78 - Stepping Stones


I am happy with the way this block turned out even though it took me quite a while to get it made. For some reason I just could not seem to understand the instructions. Whenever I read them it always ended up as blah, blah, blah in my head. I just could not get it! I laid out the pieces on my work table and I still could not correlate the pieces I had with the instructions that were given.  I do have to admit, just between you and I, that every so often my brain does go into lock down and nothing goes in or out!

One thing I did notice is that some of the sizes given were incorrect (or at least they didn't work for me) and I did not notice it when I was cutting the pieces for the block. I did eventually clue in but even that didn't help me to figure out what I was supposed to do.

In the end, I needed to trim my little corner blocks once I constructed them and I also discarded the pieces that I had originally cut for the teal rectangular blocks. I was able to complete the block by doing my own thing for those four small sections. It worked better for me to just cut rectangles out of the teal fabric and then do stitch and flip for each corner. It did finish up pretty sweet though!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Ooooh this is a nice block! So glad you were able to complete it even when your brain stopped functioning! It happens to me all the time. Fabric choice is really pretty. Love sis

Deb A said...

Pretty block! I went back and checked and I had the same issues you had with this block. The instructions were not correct. Glad you figured it out.... my mind does that too sometimes and it is amazing if you walk away for an hour or two (or the next day) and everything is suddenly clear.

Peg said...

Fabulous block! Love the colors! But isn't that annoying when the instructions are incorrect or incomplete - if we wanted to figure it out for ourselves we wouldn't pay the bucks for a pattern!

audrey said...

Very nice block. Why is it that some instructions are so complicated? I do that to, have to re-do in my own way because things don't make sense.

Katie M. said...

there are a variety of techniques to obtain the same block, that sometimes it's easier to look at the pictures and use our own favorite technique. Sometimes, I have found that it is more confusing to try doing it 'their way' then if I'd just looked at the picture and did it 'my way'...