Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Lazy Days of Summer

Over the past week or so I have taken some time to enjoy summer but lately I am feeling the overwhelming urge to get back to quilting. I have been doing bits of hand quilting here and there but mostly I have just been hanging out and relaxing.

This morning I pulled out the quilt that I am making for my nephew Norman. I trimmed it and made the label and I also attached the binding by machine to the front. All that is left to do is to hand sew the binding to the back and to tuck in the quilting thread tails and I will start that process later today while I watch a movie. I am looking forward to finishing this quilt and delivering it to my nephew.

Something else I have on my mind today, and that I am anxious to get working on, are the Priscilla Star blocks that I started a little while ago. After spending some time mulling it over, I have made a decision on the way I want my quilt to look. I was originally going to use all scrappy neutrals as the background with strings for the points but I have reconsidered that idea and have decided to use one fabric only as the background. I have washed and ironed this really cute mini floral fabric to do a test for the background of the string stars. I do like the fabric but I am not sure if it is the right one. It is a bit busy looking - I have a vision of a background print that is a little more subtle - but maybe this could still work?? I really do want the star points to be the star and not get lost in the background fabric.

3 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Like your string stars. I used a solid for the background of my Amish Ice cream social quilt. Although the print in your picture is cute!

audrey said...

Your string stars are wonderful! I don't think the background is too busy at all, but I agree that having the background all the same will keep the focal point on the stars.:)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your Priscilla Star blocks! Really want to do this one too. Way to go on quilt for Norman. Love sis