Saturday, August 31, 2013

Boy's Britches in Red

Blocks still need to be added and others need to be moved around
I have been making these blocks while I take part in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I am ready to call these blocks done and have started sewing them together into a quilt top. Silly me....I forgot to take a picture of just the red blocks before I started to sew the blocks into sets.

I am really excited about how this quilt will look when it is finished because I think it is going to be a fun, fun quilt. I have thought about other colour possibilities that could arise over the next few months but I don't want to make these blocks in neutrals, black or brown. I was debating whether I should add another set of seven blocks using fabric that doesn't quite fit into a specific colour category. You know those fabrics - they are multi-coloured and that can make it hard to decide just what colour to call them. They would look great in this quilt but to keep to the pattern of just using each fabric once in my blocks, I would need 28 different fun fabrics and I don't know if I have quite that many. I did go as far as pulling those types of fabrics from my 3.5" strip bins and from the pieces I have that are smaller than a fat quarter but I have changed my mind and put them all back.

This is the last week for red and I am looking forward to working with a new colour for September. Hop on over to soscrappy's blog to check out other RSC links.

10 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your blocks look wonderful together!
I have the same problem with my Dancing Stars blocks--I don't think it will work to add colors like brown. I might just use what I have so far and make other blocks in the remaining months of the year.

Deb A said...

Your britches look great together! Do you have any quilting plans for this one?

Karen said...

This is a bright very fun quilt. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Sheila said...

Your blocks look great! I know how you feel about adding blocks in neutrals, browns and blacks. I felt the same way last year. I did chose to go ahead and add blocks in those colors and was pleased with the results. My rainbow quilts reminded me of boxes of crayons.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I can hardly wait to see this quilt together. Really love the Boy Britches pattern. Love sis

Julierose said...

This is a super looking collection of blocks--I like your idea of mixing in those "mixed-up" fabrics to draw your eye around...Julierose

make.share.give said...

Wow, do these look pretty together!

Grit said...

Your blocks are so wonderful.
I look forward to seeing the finished.

scraphappy said...

Such a pretty collection of blocks! Knowing when a quilt wants to be done is never easy, but go with your gut -- it won't let you down.

Teresa in Music City said...

You're right - these are such FUN blocks!!! I love the design and can't wait to see how it ends up!