Sunday, July 14, 2013

'Tickled Pink'


Tina's baby quilt finally has a name. Normally, after I have a soak in my bathtub I can come up with a name for my quilts but it didn't happen this time. I knew I wanted pink in the name, so I looked up the meaning of the colour pink on the Internet. There were some options that I could use for a quilt name - Unconditional Love, Universal Love, Happiness & Joy but they weren't quite right because I still wanted the word 'pink' to appear in the name. I read a little further and saw phrases that use the word pink and I saw 'Tickled Pink' and I knew right away that was the one!


This baby quilt is very important to me and I wanted it to be as special as I could possibly make it because it is going to a very special baby. My dear friend Lou Lou passed away in October from breast cancer. She had been a survivor for just over 20 years after being diagnosed in her mid-30s and her greatest wish was to see her children grow up and to hopefully one day see her grandchildren. Thankfully, she was able to see her children grow into young adults and before she passed away she also knew that her son and his partner were expecting a child - her first grandchild.

I started hand stitching the binding to the quilt last night and this morning I was so excited to get going that I was up by 6 am and already working on the binding by 6:30 am. So much for slow stitching but I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts - Slow Stitching Sunday anyway!

This quilt finished at approx. 46" x 53" and was quilted in a free hand loopy pattern with pink thread.

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh that is a perfect name! She will love it--so descriptive of this event! Hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

What a perfect name for wonderful quilt! I can feel the love for your friend, and the joy in this quilt from you and her. Thanks for linking up and sharing this excitement! Now what will you do for the rest of slow stitching sunday!?!?!?!? LOL

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love the name, and such a wonderful quilt. You are a special friend to put so much work into a quilt for your friend's grand baby!

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilt and love your name for it. She is going to love it and I'm sure your friend is smiling down on you and this quilt.

Cathy said...

Sad about your friend. Funny how you named the quilt. It sure fits. Beautiful quilt with fun colors. I see a secondary pattern in the quilt too.

laurajane said...

Tickled Pink is just perfect for your quilt.they will be over the moon with it,it's beautiful.xx

libbyquilter said...

very cute~! and that inner green border pops wonderfully and sets the pinks off perfectly~!!

congrats to the parents of this lucky little girl.

:-)
libbyQ

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Tickled Pink is so perfect! I too think Lou Lou is smiling and feeling Tickled Pink about this beautiful little quilt for her grand baby!
Love sis

Julie in GA said...

I love how your quilt turned out, and Tickled Pink is the perfect name for it.

Karen said...

It is a beautiful quilt. What a special gift by honoring your friend. This quilt will always be treasured and loved.

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a beautiful baby quilt!

Your gift and loving gesture in memory of your dear friend is so gracious and heartwarming!
Quilts are such a personal way to voice ourselves and our love for others.
I am sure this will be a very appreciated and well loved quilt!



Rose Marie said...

A sweet quilt and the perfect name. Your friend is smiling from up above.

Anonymous said...

Ellen, I loved your story about Lou. You have a wonderful way with words. As I was at the baby shower and saw your beautiful quilt I can truthfully say it almost took my breath away! You are wonderful.