Friday, July 19, 2013

Quilting and Thread

Black background fabric with very tiny stars
 - makes your eyes crazy!
On Tuesday, I finally got the backing made for the quilt I will be giving to my nephew Norman. It didn't take very long to make but it did seem to be a sticking point. I don't know why that happens but I know I am not the only one that can get stuck there.




Once I got the backing made and straightened, everything fell into place and getting it loaded onto the frame and quilted really went quite quickly. I used a pantograph for the quilting pattern and I love how it turned out. I also used the new thread that I recently purchased to quilt this one and also to quilt Tickled Pink.

I think this thread (Poly Plus 65/2) is really good stuff - I had no issues at all other than one thread break on this quilt and I know it was my fault. I had the upper tension way too tight and I am glad the thread broke because I had to pick out my quilting because of the tension issue. If it hadn't broken I probably would have done a whole row and then would have had to pick it all out!! I did not have any thread shredding either which I seemed to be constantly having with the So Fine thread I had purchased.


I took some close up pictures of Tickled Pink so that you could see the stitches using this thread. I have no affiliations with the company that manufactures this thread (in Canada by the way) but I think I have found my 'forever' thread - ha ha!

They do have a minimum order requirement and it was a little scary to spend the money without actually trying the thread first but I am happy with it. I am also happier with the price!!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good Morning Ellen

Love the Shooting Star quilting you did on Normans quilt. Your quilt turned out so beautiful. Love it! Love sis

Deb A said...

Great job on a beautiful quilt. So glad you found a thread that works well for you and your new machine. Yes, making that backing is always a sticking point.... I'm tending to buy the bigger backing fabrics now to 'save' me the headache!

Quilter Kathy said...

You are whizzing right along now! I'll have to keep my eyes open for that thread

audrey said...

Great progress for you and what a relief to find that you like the thread. Sometimes I just don't want to sew the backing together. It's all there, but I just dread doing it which is funny because it doesn't actually take very long.:)